The damnest thing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

VaDeerHunter

I got a Load Rite Bandit trailer with my 96 XP. The end of the bearing buddies were gone so the bearings have been running with no dust cover and exposed directly to the water. So I decided to replace the bearing buddies, tear down the bearings, clean and repack them. This is where its gets strange. The outside bearing has a spacer installed on the axle between the bearing, the washer and the nut. Evidently the spacer takes up axle space because the threads don't go far enough for the washer to be against the bearing then install the nut and pin. This is like something I have never seen before. I think some may have replaced the axle with one that is not right for the trailer or maybe the spacer is supposed to go up against the inside shoulder of the axle? I am just stumped. The Bearing buddies were destroyed because the axle sticks out too far for them to seat and still have space for the spring loaded grease compressor. Anyone ever heard of anything like this before and should I place the spacer inside so the bearing and seal are up against it?

Any help, suggestions, even jokes appreciated!

Pat

Sounds like maybe at some point the hub may have gone bad. When they put on a new one it may not have been as wide or the inner bearing sets in farther than the original one. You may want to compare it to the other side and see if that is the case if so this hub may not be made for your axle and may be for a less weight trailer.

Are both sides like this?

I'd like to know that too.

As far as using a spacer on the inner shoulder... that wont' work since these are tapered bearings, and you load them with the nut. AND... if you put it on the back side... the seal may not line up properly.

Since the last owner was running with out dust caps... who knows what the real story is. But, it sounds like their lack of maintenance and/or stupidity... there was prior damage, and that's the band aid.

With that said... I've worked on a lot of trailers that have a very thick outer washer. AND... without it... the threads may not reach. (So, it could be normal)

As far as the bearing buddy's not fitting... you can't use them on all axles. Some axles have a "Bearing buddy" built into them... and the axle is extra long. In that case, there is a hole in the tip of the axle where a grease nipple would be threaded into. And, then you use the "EZ Grease" dust caps. (They have a rubber plug in the end, to access the nipple)

Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-EZ-Lube-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6af13807&vxp=mtr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back