Thanks and a riding question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmlisak

First of all, thank you to everyone on this forum. I was gifted my first PWC ; a 98 XP with a rope in the impeller and numerous other technical problems. Thanks to all of you and your posts, I was able diagnose and fix everything. It's running like new and I am having a blast!

I was able to find answers to every problem except this one and you're all going to laugh... I'm new to PWC, but have no trouble handling the XP. I have also ridden motorcycles all my life. The problem is I absolutely cannot stay upright on this thing with a passenger!! My GF and I spent an hour trying this weekend... she gets on from the dock, is centered, not leaning... we are good for exactly 4 seconds and it flips right every time. Even if we lean left, it flips right and dumps us in the drink. :facepalm: Note that we aren't even moving yet.

I know it's silly, but I can't find any answers as to what I'm doing wrong.

Wow not sure what to tell.
When she gets on and you feel like it is going to tip let go of the handle bars. Know it sounds weird but might give it a try until you get the balance feel. Might have to do it several times. Good luck.

its VERY tippy with no throttle, i know it seems weird but hitting the throttle will stabilize it.

It takes some time to sync with a passenger, especially on the wishbone hull.

It was the primary complaint I had about my 02 xp, by far. Its the only ski i've ever fallen off of when sitting still, right in front of 10 people at the ramp with water temps in the 60's. brrrrrr

its VERY tippy with no throttle, i know it seems weird but hitting the throttle will stabilize it.

Agreed, as soon as you can, hit the throttle, I can't seem to last more than a few seconds on my spx with 2 people at a stand still, if you hit the gas right away it's a all good.

This is an experience thing...

For example, if you and your GF were to hop on a newer style 4-tech ski, you would be perfectly fine. They are VERY stable.

The XP is a much smaller frame and very top heavy with a larger individual and or two-people. You need to be moving the instant she gets on or you will simply roll over,,,

That said,, if you guys are going to roll over, the the ski go so it does not roll over and ingest water into the engine,,,

Same situation here. As I am a newbie as well.
One up is fine. Try 2 people and over we go on our 89 SP.

Can a seadoo handle going upside down or is that instant doom for the engine.
Jumping off it is the only way to save it?

yep, get some water moving over the sponsons and it will give you a bit of extra stability. my wife could barely ride my 97 xp at anything slower than a fast idle, which is how we got the gtx....

shortrun the exhaust is designed so that if you flip it back over the correct way it will drain the water out of the cylinders if any went in and keep the water in the exhaust. there should be a sticker on the rear of the ski (usually upside down) that tells you how to flip it back over.

FWIW, I never rode 2 up on my 02 xp.... because of the above...

however, when I was at ski fest back in 2011, two guys, both about 190 lbs, rode the mangrove trails like experts at every speed, I was behind them the whole ride and I kept waiting for them to take a spill but they never did, so... definitely an experience thing.

Can a seadoo handle going upside down or is that instant doom for the engine.
Jumping off it is the only way to save it?

They are designed to be able to roll. There is a specifc way to right them,,, Look for a sticker on the back of the ski. It will be upside down right now. Will be upside right when the ski is upside down,,,

That said, if you suck water into the engine, there is a very specific process to get it out so that you do not bend the internal metal parts of the engine, such as connecting rods...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back