Thank You ! (consider yourself included)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSchmidt54

I just wanted to thank everyone here on the forum , over the last few months i have had a hell of a time getting my molested/abused GTX to run right and after all that work, it finally runs , and like a CHAMP! i figured out why it was bogging before and fixed the problem.

Before , we didnt break the motor in properly the first time. I took it out and did my 20% throttle for a half hour and let it cool then ran it a little faster , and almost sunk it because the retaining ring was missing. THe only way i got it back to the marina fast enough was by WOT the way there.......then it died right out front, slurping up all the water in the hull........................i cleared the motor out, got the driveshaft C clip , and was back in business....

I then took it up to the lake, and was jumping waves at what i though was up to 90% and back for the rest of the tank of gass................not paying attention to the engine temp or the fact that every time i caught air, i was redlining it................and anytime i held it at 80% for more than a few seconds, it would bog........i was like WTF? then i noticed the fuel lines were gray, pulled the ski that night, changed em the next day , and after i changed them , i started it, the air in the lines causeed it to runaway. I stopped it , but it was hot as hell.

After this i took it out and ran it again, it ran ok, but still bogged in the top end,.........i would pulse the throttle and it would come right back.

I rode if for the day , and took it out on the river the folllowing day, it still bogged, but only every once in a while. so we tuned the carbs until it was just a little rich , and ran the hell outta it, well thats when i blew my first block from SBT right in front of the marina.

SBT said that it was because my front crank seal was worn and that water got into the front crank bearing and it binded................somehow this chain reaction caused my rear cylinder to detonate.

(SPOILER ALERT! this was because i REUSED the front crank seal like a moron, or because it overheated when the motor ran away, plus i reused the mag housing seal. So when i waterlocked it, it probably got some from in there.)

So the second time around i replaced every single gasket as i reinstalled the motor, i even sanded the faces of each carb stand on the valve cover, and i used permatex adhesive gasket prep to make sure they were sealed good (i also used this on the mag housing Gasket.) and i put a small dab of marine grade grease on the inside of the mag housing oring when i put all that back together. I then made sure to use Locktite 242 AND activator on the bolts since stainless doesnt activate the locktite. and i made sure the bolts where torqued to spec.

Also , i sprayed any of the metal engine gaskets (exhaust) with copper gasket spray prep, to ensure a good seal.

I replaced the injector lines and primed them , and replaced the oil filter, flushed all of the TC-W3 out of the system and put in INTERCEPTOR. I also put a 5/16 in line fuel filter right below the line mounted to the starter.

I sent the carbs to MJD Powersports because i wanted them perfectly rebuilt, he said the pop off before rebuild was 18 on one and 50 on the other, gee i wonder where my problem occured?, now they are both at i believe 30

I also relocated the TELL TALE coolant indicator to the front starbord side of the ski just above the rub rail so that i could see it working. (not gonna overheat it this time!)

I took it out the first time for a short run , 10 minute idle/cool then ran it up to 20% for about 30 min and trailered it , (it was dark)

took it out the next day and i checked the plugs after running it up to 50% for a half hour, and to my surprise it was running LEAN!

so i turned the jets an extra half turn out from stock on both the highs and lows (2 3/4)Lows 1/2 highs **i know this is rich***

and i also calibrated the oil pump to overfeed slightly (notch on arm passes notch on pump by about an eigth of an inch)

so then i ran it, it was still running a little weird, i trailered it, went to start it, and ran it on the traler.......it coughed up blue smoke of course, (break in oil + rich pump = nono) so i killed it, toyed with the idle screw a bit (cause it was low) and went to start it again, and it just whirred, no start, just starter whir,................so i went to mjd and he hada brand new 787 starter in box........from sbt , but its better than nothing for 100 out the door right?

Yeah so my buddy and i took it out the next day to the lake and we were running it carefullly (around 4-6000 rpms, avoiding jumping it , and most avoiding red line) It was running so good, my buddy goes "dude , we can see Put in Bay from here , lets try and get there, we can just take it slow and check the temp." so what do we do? we run it all the way to Put in bay , 4 miles away , ranging from 4-6thousand rpms and takeing about 4 stops every 10 minutes to make sure its staying cool. It stayed GOLDEN the hole time , ran great , we went all the way out up and around the top of PIB and got to the marina on the other side where my uncle had his sea ray for the night........everyone treated us like rockstars for coming all the way out on it, and we couldnt really tell why ........

We refilled the ski (down to a quarter tank)with ethanol free gas for 4.99/gal on the island and went out and jumped 10 foot Jet-Ferry wakes until almost sundown, headed back in , and had a great night.

then next day , we headed back at about 9 am ...........and we realized why we were treated like rockstars before........the waves were ranging from 3 to 6 foot on the lake and we had to get 4 miles across to get back to the marina on shore. We braved the huge ass waves, and as soon as they broke down to 1 footers, i checked the E temp on my info gauge , it said 64 (about water temperature) and i HIT IT .........running about 6000 rpms we were hauling across those little waves, we got back to the mouth of the marina, and could finally breath a sigh of relief.

While running the causeway of the marina , i ran it WOT for a few seconds, and it SCREAMED!

**by the way , this whole time after the first tank, it still ran a little rich , but rich is good lol***

we trailered it , and headed home .

I took it out later today (around 5 ish) and ran the rest of that tank , ran like a champ,........did a little WOT at the end of the tank and it ran soo good .......like a raped ape according to my buddy lol..............but i killed the rest of that tank and now i have a ski that runs like a BOSS thanks to all of you.............and sadly, i want to trade it for an XP now :)

Thanks for reading this guys, your all awesome, and without you ,, i would have a $2000 pile of crap in my drive way, but i dont, i have a running screaming SEADOO that i can have a blast on , THANK YOU!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back