Texas Classified

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mashenden

Seems like this would be a good deal for someone in Tx. I'm thinking it could be on the water with a rebuilt engine for about $1,500 which is what used ones seem to sell for fairly regularly.

Am I missing something in the hidden risk category (not that I am interested in this one since I am in VA)?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3636251450.html

Your missing the "nickel and dime" factor. These things will nickel and dime you to death. A rebuild with shipping is 1200 alone, if you did it yourself you could probably do it cheaper but I dont know how much cause I have never done it.

It says the motor is not complete, so whatever it is missing you need to find, I am going to guess that he started parting it out and the rave valves, head, magneto are probably gone. So you will need to find whatever is missing or pick up a core somewhere. $3-500

Then there is all the little stuff it might need
oil filter, gas filter, rebuild carbs, clean raves, alignment tool if you don't have one, seat, throttle cable, possible pump rebuild, impeller, wear ring, etc

After that then you need to consider the cosmetic items you want to do.

I am not saying that all the above needs to be done but there is that possibility. IMO unless you have all the tools and know how to get everything done (including the rebuild) in your own garage, and are able to get good deals on all the parts, you will not get this on the water as a presentable, reliable ski for 1500.

Your missing the "nickel and dime" factor. These things will nickel and dime you to death. A rebuild with shipping is 1200 alone, if you did it yourself you could probably do it cheaper but I dont know how much cause I have never done it.

It says the motor is not complete, so whatever it is missing you need to find, I am going to guess that he started parting it out and the rave valves, head, magneto are probably gone. So you will need to find whatever is missing or pick up a core somewhere. $3-500

Then there is all the little stuff it might need oil filter, gas filter, rebuild carbs, clean raves, alignment tool if you don't have one, seat, throttle cable, possible pump rebuild, impeller, wear ring, etc

After that then you need to consider the cosmetic items you want to do.

I am not saying that all the above needs to be done but there is that possibility. IMO unless you have all the tools and know how to get everything done (including the rebuild) in your own garage, and are able to get good deals on all the parts, you will not get this on the water as a presentable, reliable ski for 1500.

That's concerning. They do not get much cheaper than $150 (free being slightly cheaper). Am I correct in interpreting your key point is check things out and proceed with caution - not all are worth saving?

Your assumption is correct. Sometimes free is worse then paying for something, especially if it is not complete.

I picked up a complete ski for 500 and should be able to get it on the water for $2200 with a rebuild. Now for this ski you would have to add the parts that are missing to that total.........the nickel and dime factor.

That being said there are guys on this forum that do these kind of projects on a regular basis, I am sure they can get this ski on the water for cheaper cause they have the know how and extra parts and tools required to do so.

Kicker is right, these things can nickle and dime you to death even if everything is there. It would definitely need some money if you wanted to keep it, but for $120 that's a hell of a good deal just in parts. If I lived within a few hours of there, it would be mine.

While there is no doubt that these things have a "nickle and dime" factor, it seems that a fair amount of that is true of any jet ski that is purchased, even if it is running (unless you are buying from a known maintenance fanatic:))

So $120 for the jet ski, $1,200 for a rebuild, $x for the head, $y for a seat, and $z for the throttle, it seemed that someone would get a ski with a renewed lifeline for what many seem to advertise for one that is running, but in an unknown condition...

Again, I'm not interested because I am not near it - just trying to see what others think so I am prepared when time comes.

I would buy it for sure and you know he would take a little less. Even if you do not want to restore it, you could use it for spare parts. Almost all of the parts on that swap into the 787 spx's so if you have a x4 then you will eventually have a need for some parts down the road. Only downfall there is you need storage space and I know alot of the guys here already have too many projects lol

You guys throw in the towel too easy. As far as saving every one, no, but an X-4 XP, yes. That totally could be done for around $1500 to $1700 including purchase, assuming the MPEM is good. I paid more for mine and would buy them for $120 all day long. I just don't see the nickle and dime, you need to go through the entire ski and don't cut corners. So if you could do it for $1500 to $1700 tops and have a fresh engine and good clean used parts your already on top of buying the same ski running for say $1000 to $1200 and having to dump $200 to $300, but still have an unknown engine. Just for a base I have roughly $2200(a little less) into my ski, that's EVERYTHING from purchase price to registration to as you see it now. That even includes parts I haven't bought yet like a battery and also reprogramming my spare key and some other stuff. If I subtracted the "extras" I bought I'm sure I could shave about $250 off that. Where are you going to get a ski that has been gone through completely for that price. I'd rather build one from the ground up to know what I have. Granted it doesn't include the countless hours I have poured into it, but that is my relaxation. So yes, $1500 is real close to doable, you just need to stick to a tight budget and shop wisely. Do I have more into mine then what it's worth, maybe, but not in my eyes. It is also easy for me to say all this because I have the tools, shop and access to more tools to do it.

Thats an extremely clean hull for TX...all the ones my bro has bought were total turds aside from a couple.

You guys throw in the towel too easy. As far as saving every one, no, but an X-4 XP, yes. That totally could be done for around $1500 to $1700 including purchase, assuming the MPEM is good. I paid more for mine and would buy them for $120 all day long. I just don't see the nickle and dime, you need to go through the entire ski and don't cut corners. So if you could do it for $1500 to $1700 tops and have a fresh engine and good clean used parts your already on top of buying the same ski running for say $1000 to $1200 and having to dump $200 to $300, but still have an unknown engine. Just for a base I have roughly $2200(a little less) into my ski, that's EVERYTHING from purchase price to registration to as you see it now. That even includes parts I haven't bought yet like a battery and also reprogramming my spare key and some other stuff. If I subtracted the "extras" I bought I'm sure I could shave about $250 off that. Where are you going to get a ski that has been gone through completely for that price. I'd rather build one from the ground up to know what I have. Granted it doesn't include the countless hours I have poured into it, but that is my relaxation. So yes, $1500 is real close to doable, you just need to stick to a tight budget and shop wisely. Do I have more into mine then what it's worth, maybe, but not in my eyes. It is also easy for me to say all this because I have the tools, shop and access to more tools to do it.

Exactly!! If I were in TX I'm pretty sure I would take the plunge... again:) unless more parts were missing than was implied.

i emailed over the weekend and got no response, either they don't care enough to respond or its already gone. i was going to pick it up to part out and have a spare couple bits like carbs, and do a DIY rebuild so i'd have a spare motor around for my 97.

theres also an LRV in need of a motor "free if you buy the trailer" for 500, but its got no title. and its an LRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back