taking on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

poindexter

Hi. last summer, my 99 gtx rfi, had a problem with the pump seizing up.. I pulled it for the season and worked on it over the winter... I rebuilt the pump with new bearings, seals , o-rings and oil... when I dropped it back into the water this spring, the bilge pump I put in a couple years started within 30 seconds... so pulled it back out....
I noticed that the bellows at the back as the shaft goes out to the thru hull fitting was leaking around the clamp... I assumed that the thru hull fitting was not a good fit, therefore Picked up a new one, but its a sloppy fit as well, as is the carbon ring which is at the other side of the bellows.... is this suppose to be loose and only held with a good clamp???? it seems to me that there should be some sort of of oil seal on the shaft by the thru hull fitting but nothing shows in the parts catalogue...
if someone could offer some insite, I would appreciate that.. I am awaiting a new bellows as I changed everything, I may was well change it with a proper new rubber...
thanks

Does your shaft have the oring holding pressure on the stainless steel collar or the updated metal c clip?

Does your shaft have the oring holding pressure on the stainless steel collar or the updated metal c clip?

the stainless metal right behind the carbon ring was not movable, the o-rings inside did not allow water to pass and the C-clip held it in place... I am replacing it all anyway.... I purchased a new thru-hull fitting but a little nervous to replace it as the original thru-hull is larger and plastic where the new one looks like aluminum (by weight anyway)... am very concerned about electrolosis of the two disimilar metals (driveshaft and thru-hull) but since the original looks fine I might just leave it,, ..as the ring holds the boot nice.. (might put a silicone on the boot) one would think that there would be some sort of better water seal other than a rubber boot...

You may want to check out this thread, it may be of help to you.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?71248-How-To-carbon-seal-service-and-replacement

Lou

Hi, Thanks. I already have it apart, but after going to the garage to view what I may have missed, I noticed that one side of the driveshaft does not have the little rubber bumper... which could allow the driveshaft to shift back and forth, if that is the reason for water due to movement, although the driveshaft was pretty solid as far as movement back and forth.....
I bought this unit as an insurance writeoff and sent the engine down to the States to get rebuilt (difference in price of 1500 or more... worked fine till the pump siezed, after pump rebuild and re-installed, that's when water started coming in around the boot, not the hoses... ( i Have the books now so hopefully will all fall into place), boot on order, should have it in a couple of days... then all new parts will be in place....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back