Swapping 4-Tec into 2000 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutes64

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums so I am not sure if anyone else has asked this. I have not been able to find any more information regarding a swap. Basically I have a Speedster SK with the 210 Merc.
I bought the boat without the motor pretty cheap.
I am thinking about swapping in the newer 215hp 4-Tec motor.
Has anyone done this??
If so what are some problems you came across??
How does the 215 bolt in??
Any and all information is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you have a project in mind that I haven't seen.

Anything is possible with enough time and money.

I seen where they are transplanting bottom of rxp on inflatable and here is a guy putting an outboard on one.

Jet Boat conversion... Ideas??

Unless you've got money to burn, you would be better off just buying a 4 tek speedster, and selling the boat that you have. I don't think there are any similarities which means you would need just about all the parts off of a donor boat, plus you would need to do a lot of fiberglass work.

However I gave similar advice to a guy in Australia when he wanted to put an outboard on an explorer, and he pulled it off. So if you could find a donor boat you might be able to do it.

Lou

the merc powerheads are way different than the seadoo. merc has this huge rectangular hole just in front of the pump area that the gear train sits in. the merc jet motor crankshaft is vertical, like an outboard(go figure), and then it goes down below the water line in a housing and changes the power to horizontal. seadoo only has a small circular hole that the driveshaft goes through and the seadoo driveshaft is basically an extension of the crankshaft.

I've never seen it done and it would be a major project and not one I'd take on but anything is possible. The simplest way would be to take a 3'x5' engine and pump section from the rear of seadoo boat with the pump and motor and patch it in to your boat. They have amazing epoxies now for boat repair, see West Marine.

I'm currently doing a major boat repair on a 2005 twin engine 4tec 370hp Speedster that came off the trailer on the highway that went into a ditch, through a row of signs that punched 5 holes through the hull and flipped over. Insurance company totalled it out and I got it for $2400 but have about $4k into it so far. A sign post went right through the pump area behind the motor, through the water box, hit the motor and broke the valve cover, hit the timing chain(replaced that with the new timing chain recall kit, see 4tec thread).

Didn't mean to overtake your thread but just want you to know that anything is possible with enough work but I believe it also needs to make sense as far as money goes. You should take your best guess what you think it will be worth when it's done and how much it will cost before starting. This speedster I'm working on is a $15k boat so I have some room to work.

The simplest way be to take a 3'x5' engine and pump section from the rear of seadoo boat with the pump and motor and patch it in to your boat. They have amazing epoxies now for boat repair, see West Marine.

2005 twi
n engine 4tec 370hp Speedster that came off the trailer on the highway that went into a ditch,

Pictures please or start a build thread b/c that would be cool to see progress before and after.

:thumbsup:

View attachment 11220View attachment 11221View attachment 11222

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures please or start a build thread b/c that would be cool to see progress before and after.

I totally agree. i don't wanna hijack this thread but id really like to see the progress as you repair that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back