Supercharger rebuild 100 hours????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigmri

Guys,

I haven't even sold my boat yet and I already have sellers remorse!!!!

Just got off the phone with a Seadoo dealer and I asked him some questions about the supercharged boats. He said that BRP recommends the supercharger being rebuilt every 100 hours?????? Are you kidding me?? I already miss my twin 155s already and I still own it.

Now I'm not sure what to do.

Craig

Personally… I won’t own one of their supercharged boats.

I was going back and forth with someone in a post recently, about how the ceramic drive washers are known to fail, and when they do… they have a tendency of killing your engine. This has been known to happen at as low as 10 hours. Also… someone else posted up saying they had a boat that would not pass 35 mph, and the dealers said they couldn’t find anything wrong… but they did load test the supercharger. When that person took the boat out the very next time… it ran into the 50’s like it was suppose to. The conclusion was the ceramic drive washers were slipping, and when the dealer did their “load test” they freed them up, and they stopped slipping.

Because of the expense involved with a supercharger failure… I will stick to the N/A engines. Besides… 310 HP is fine by me. OR… I will yank the S/C and replace it with a turbo. Also… if I did buy a SeaDoo S/C boat… I would put boost gauges on each engine to keep an eye on the boost. First sign of low boost… the washers would get replaced.

Keep your boat.

Just my 2 cents… take it for what it’s worth.

Now that i know more about the superchargers i would have no problem buying one. You just need to keep up the maintinace with them. Witch is why you hear all the bad stories about them. They dont look after them or use the wronge oil witch helps lead to failures. I dont care what make or model sc or turbo youll have problems if you dont maintain it.

1st thing you do is change out the washers with Riva washers, They are the best on the market. even change them on the NEW boats.

2nd thing you need to do is inspect washers, gear, shaft and bearing for any wear every 25-30 hrs in the pwc you could maybe get away with it every 50 in the boats. You want to look for excess heat on the washers and excess wear on the other parts. Key is to catch a failure befor it happens.

3rd do a FULL rebuild every 80-100hrs

Also in the SC craft if you are low on rpms then stop the boat cause it probably a sc related problem.

I agree with Joel, they are really not that bad in the boats from what I have read. They take much less abuse than they do in the PWCs. With that in mind be sure to follow all the recommended service intervals, along with only running the Sea-Doo recommended oil.

As for cost, I believe that the cost of the hundred hour overhaul is about the same as the ten hour service on your 310hp equipped Utopia (but don't quote me on that), so the maintenance costs are not as shocking as they seem at first glance.

Aaron.:cheers:

PS: I still would have kept the U-boat:)

I'm going to look at a Challenger 180 this weekend and see if I like it. If I like it I'll see about a test run.

How much am I looking at for tools and Parts to rebuild one of these Superchargers?

Craig

I like the twin engine safety..

Just another reason why I like the twin motors...today, with my issue, I was still able to move my boat around with my second motor. Don't think that would have been the case with the one....

That said...I think you need to remember your list. Having that boat in your garage and doing the things you need to do with it. If it fits the bill, it will be fine and you will enjoy it! But as Tim the Toolman said, "MORE POWER!!!" :agree:

Aauugh!

Even the new Seadoo steel washers have been failing? This is getting rediculous!!!

Craig

Yes the new washers have been failing, they do last longer but still arent as good as riva washers. Your best bet is to replace them with riva ones.

Even the new Seadoo steel washers have been failing? This is getting rediculous!!!

Craig

i havent seen the new seadoo washers but ive been told there metal with a ceramic coating. Ive talked to a lots of people and they seem to be failing aroung the 40hr mark.

this is very true the washers within the superchargers do fail all the time. what i recommend is get the rebuild or get the parts and do it yourself. its not hard.

Can the SC washers fail? Sure. Do they fail often in the boats? I don't think so. In the year plus I've been on here I've only read of two boats. I think the occurance of this problem in the 180s and up is very uncommon overal. It can happen but chances are reallllllllly unlikely it will. It usually happens in people hitting 4ft waves and getting 3 ft of air over and over and over.

For me this is not much concern at all. As with any other motorized vehicle/toy whatever its all about how you take care of it. Do the service and keep up on maintenance. For $1000 I got a warranty that takes me out 5 years. So, if something should happen then I'm covered.

Plus 100hrs may not sound like much but that a LOT of time. Like 5+ years for the average boater.

Last, when the washers do need to replaced for service the bill is less than $1k. Do it yourself and its half that.

So, is it a problem -not for me. Is it a concern - maybe more something to be aware of and account for accordingly. Honestly though I wouldn't worry about it :)

Just about every super charged seadoo I have see has had one problem or another with the washers. If you not jumping waves, why would you want a a high performance water craft? The average use her in Florida, is 100 hours per season. The largest and oldest seadoo dealer is here in Florida...what a coincidence. If you buy a Super Charged Model be prepared to keep up on the maintenance, or spend a lot at the dealer.

Karl

Can the SC washers fail? Sure. Do they fail often in the boats? I don't think so. In the year plus I've been on here I've only read of two boats. I think the occurance of this problem in the 180s and up is very uncommon overal. It can happen but chances are reallllllllly unlikely it will. It usually happens in people hitting 4ft waves and getting 3 ft of air over and over and over.

For me this is not much concern at all. As with any other motorized vehicle/toy whatever its all about how you take care of it. Do the service and keep up on maintenance. For $1000 I got a warranty that takes me out 5 years. So, if something should happen then I'm covered.

Plus 100hrs may not sound like much but that a LOT of time. Like 5+ years for the average boater.

Last, when the washers do need to replaced for service the bill is less than $1k. Do it yourself and its half that.

So, is it a problem -not for me. Is it a concern - maybe more something to be aware of and account for accordingly. Honestly though I wouldn't worry about it :)

Are you kidding??? theres alot more then just 2 case of failed washers on here pluse there other site like this as well that have thousands and thousans of documented cases of washers failing. Do some searching there was just a member with a 2007 challenger 230 with a blown supercharger karl has a 150 in his back yard with a blown supercharger and my friend just has his washers let go at 30hrs in his 2006 sportster 150.
I know people that ride only on flat lakes and with under 10 hrs and the washers let go. The fact is there a known problem and people who spend 10's of thousans of dollars on there boats/pwc's should spend the $100 on good washers that are proven to out last the seadoo OEM washers. Oh and rebuild kit is about $300

I've got an 06 Speedster 430 hp with roughly 40-45 hours on it , bought it used. haven't had a problem nor had he with the washers.....but what I've read seems like I will.How much does it cost to have a shop rebulid the superchargers?!?!?!?! 1k! wow

Just the price of membership...

From my lesson learned, it is just part of being a boat owner. Yes, it sounds like the supercharged engine require more mainteance than the normally aspirated engine. How is that different in a car? My VW TDI get incredible mpg but it requires different mainteance than a typical car. Supercharged or Turbo charged engine cars also are a pain as they get more mileage. At the end of the day, everyone must decide whether the cost is worth the reward. Is the added horsepower necessary? Only you can decide that. :cheers:

It sounds as if the washer problem is more prevelant in the PWC than the boats. Can it happen in a boat? Yes, it can. Even Hondas and Toyota break down and even produces a lemon once in while!:ack: It is something that must be factor in the price of boating altogether. It is all part of the cost of boating. Figure out the cost of all the accessories, equipment, fuel, insurance, licensing, etc....:puke:

Per supercharger

Easy,

The cost of the supercharger rebuild kit is about $300 PER ENGINE!!!!! Thats assuming you do it yourself. I think you will also require a special tool as well. I am shocked this is still a problem even on the 2008 and 2009s. Seems all the boats now are supercharged. I smell a class action law suit.

I would LOVE to learn the statistics of failures for people who follow the proper maintenance per the manual.

Craig

I've got an 06 Speedster 430 hp with roughly 40-45 hours on it , bought it used. haven't had a problem nor had he with the washers.....but what I've read seems like I will.How much does it cost to have a shop rebulid the superchargers?!?!?!?! 1k! wow

they can go all through the oil system and take out the oil pumps. and if they also get into and nic the timing chain it can cause the timing chain to break. SO it can cause major engine damage.

I asked the dealer about this when I bought it because I had read about this on this forum. They said they had already switched them out. How can I check?

What parts do I need to buy and where is the best place to buy them? I may try to find someone other than the dealer to do it. The dealers here suck. I could always try doing it myself.

regardless if you've been on this forum for years and only seen a couple threads of this occurance. that doesn't mean these washers are full proof. i am a sea-doo tech. i work for sea-d00. i 've seen tones of theese washers go bad. its just something that happened when you do not to regularly schedualed maintence. by the way you do not need any kind of special tool for this job. just have torque bits for you ratchet.

i havent seen the new seadoo washers but ive been told there metal with a ceramic coating. Ive talked to a lots of people and they seem to be failing aroung the 40hr mark.

They are actually titanium coated and the titanium flakes off.

Chester

I asked the dealer about this when I bought it because I had read about this on this forum. They said they had already switched them out. How can I check?

What parts do I need to buy and where is the best place to buy them? I may try to find someone other than the dealer to do it. The dealers here suck. I could always try doing it myself.

Remove the supercharger and look at the installed washers. They say Riva on the outside edge.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back