sucked up seaweed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys really need help finally got my seadoo 1999 gsx rfi running after installing a new rotary valve shaft . Was running great till my brother sucked up a bunch of seaweed . I removed the grate and got all the seaweed out from the impeller but it still wont go more then 5 mph and is bogging out please help guys !!!

I had that in May when the water was high and these weeds were harder to spot. We have a bay full of that. You probably still have some stuck in there. These weeds get stuck around the inside of impeller (and solid as a rope inside the impeller). If you are unable to dislodge them, you may have to dig a bit more inside (like pull the impeller). Last time it happened to me, I gave my throttle short bursts in forward and reverse and I was able to dislodge them. However, when I had my outboard several years ago, I literally had to raise the engine and these plants were really hard to remove, almost needed a knife/scissors to cut them.

Unless you caught an almost invisible fishing rope.

thanks for the reply I really wanna fix this I literally had ten minutes of ride time this year !
I removed the bottom grate and got everything out from that side, do you mean I should remove the pump from the back and see if there is any caught in there ?

Obviously have something stuck there. Unfortunately my skills with these pumps are very limited (but I'll get better!). All I know is that these weeds can get stuck there and once they are wrapped around the impeller (propeller in my case along time ago), they can be very hard to dislodge. Try short bursts back and forth first, may do the trick, but don't insist for more than a couple of minutes.

ok I thing I have bad gas too cause it ran perfect for 10 mintues but right before it sucked up the seaweed it started bogging out . After I removed all the seeweed it would keep bogging but I think as the tank ran low it started sucking up bad gas /water . Im gonna drain the tank and run fresh gas in it to see if it fixes the problem , as well as check the other side of the impeller for seeweed thanks

Maybe I didn't interpret your post correctly. When you say you can't go more than 5 mph, is the engine revving like crazy or is it simply bogging down (like wanting to stall)? If it is revving, it is definitely something stuck in the impeller. If it is bogging down, it could be something else, unless your drive shaft would be really stuck.

bogging down not reving up and stalling. Drove fine for the first 10 minutes with a little hiccup here and there . It sat for 1 and a half years with the gas in it . Maybe driving on the water mixed the fuel in the tank up and now its sucking in the bad gas ?

If you are rev'ing, and not moving a lot, then maybe your wear ring is grooved out, and you have too much clearance between your prop and the wear ring.
It's also possible, the weeds are caught up in the drive shaft cavity, ..which is hard to see , the best move really is to remove the pump and drive shaft.

yah the bogging happened after the seaweed got sucked up. Anyways good news I drained all the old gas out and put some fresh gas in and shes running great now just got to get on the water tomorrow and see how she rides :)

well i gave up and put the seadoo aside and bought myself a 657 seadoo xp for now. The gsx rfi has cancer everything keeps getting worse. Now its backfiring and wont start up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back