Sucked up a branch speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy2424

Unfortunately, i sucked up a large branch today. I didn't realize at first but suddenly the boat was making a louder noise and it caused quite a bit of vibration. I pulled the boat out quickly as we
We're just by the boat launch and was able to pull a large piece of wood out from the bottom intake. I put it back in thinking it may have been that easy but it's still loud and vibrating when in forward .
It seems like this might be pretty common to have things get sucked up. Is this going to be an expensive problem. Is this something people try and do themselves. I guess I'm looking for direction and others experience if anyone's had that happen and did you get the vibration. I can't believe my luck the last week. I literally found this forum after I lost my ladder a week ago and couldn't get a replacement as the parts been discontinued. I have a 2009 seadoo speedster

I had a similar problem .. when I took my Speedster 200 out a few weeks ago .. sucked something up .. the boat started to vibrate and shutter violantly .. I slowed down .. put in reverse and forward again to no avail .. I slowly went back to the wharf and the issue went away. Usually whatever is jammed will sort itself out .. not sure why you think you have permanent damage unless something is still stuck in there.

Take a good look. Sounds like you still have something in there. It only takes a twig to get a vibration and have poor performance.

I sucked in something at 35mph a week ago and the boat started to vibrate violently and lost substantial propulsion. It was so bad I assumed a catastrophic failure of some sort. At idle the engine ran fine and was producing normal thrust. If I advanced the throttle above 5000 rpm the vibration would return. I jumped in the lake but there was nothing I could feel in the intake. So I ran the throttle up a few more times and whatever it was came out and everything was back to normal. I took the pump off the next day and there was a very small wear in the ring, but the impeller still was in new condition. So I assume it was a small stick or something. I'm lucky it came out because it would of been a slow ride back to the nearest landing at idle, approximately 8 miles away.

These three little bits of treated wood brought my 210 Challenger to a halt. I had to idle 6 miles back down the lake when it happened. One little piece was wedged on each blade of the impeller. Could not get above 3000 RPM without massive vibration and cavitation. I got back to the dock with the other engine.

You can see two of the pieces wedged in place in the second picture. Used a long pry bar to get them out. Used the boat a few more times without issue, but did replace the wear rings anyway.

IMG_0847.jpgIMG_0519.jpg

We sucked up a pair of sun glasses and that brought out boat to a slow crawl home. Check between the impeller and wear ring and make sure there is absolutely nothing caught in there. The littlest piece of debris will cause cavitation.

Putting the boat in reverse wont do much if anything. On a jet boat the engine is always going in the same direction, even in reverse. I have seen jet skiers on our lake keep hammering reverse trying to unwind a ski rope unknowingly making things worse.

We sucked up a pair of sun glasses and that brought out boat to a slow crawl home. Check between the impeller and wear ring and make sure there is absolutely nothing caught in there. The littlest piece of debris will cause cavitation.

Putting the boat in reverse wont do much if anything. On a jet boat the engine is always going in the same direction, even in reverse. I have seen jet skiers on our lake keep hammering reverse trying to unwind a ski rope unknowingly making things worse.
Although putting it in reverse is suggested in the user manual aswell ?

It can work, at times, with soft stuff. Basically trying to get the boat mi Inc backwards, cutting the engine(s) and getting water to flow backwards through the intake based on the momentum. There is no way to reverse the impeller rotation for something jammed into the impeller and wear ring.

It can work, at times, with soft stuff. Basically trying to get the boat mi Inc backwards, cutting the engine(s) and getting water to flow backwards through the intake based on the momentum. There is no way to reverse the impeller rotation for something jammed into the impeller and wear ring.
Thanks for the explanation!

Btw .. Panthers as in Penrith Panthers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back