Stripped Regulator Block Screw Insde Of Carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

advacomp

Title says it all, I was doing my first ever carb rebuild following qstorms guide and I stripped one of the regulator block screws and the other one is really rusted. No idea where to go from here. Should I use PB blaster on the rusted screw? What should I do to remove the stripped screw without damaging the carb?

2011-07-16_12-56-11_668.jpg

Nope... PB blaster isn't going to work since the bolt isn't really stuck, and the threads ar about 1/4 below that block. (It would never get down into the threds) Also... It's just tight because there is a gasket behind it. When ever you work on PWC carbs... you HAVE TO use a hand impact to remove those screws... or... you twist the Philips socket.

You could still try to use a hand impact since there is still a little of the Philips head in it. BUT... I would probably just drill the head off. Once the head comes off, you can get the block off... and then what's left of the bolt, sticking up, should be able to un-thread.

If you go the impact route... I recommend putting a little cardboard on the work bench. It helps hold the carb... and will protect it from the impact. (Makes clean up easy too)

Go down to Sears and buy an impact tool. This tool has screw driver bits that are turned by an internal cam when you tap the top of it with a hammer. This tool is perfect for getting stuborn screws out and helped me get the same screws out of my carbs.

Thank you both!!! I'm going to go grab one now.

The PTO carb filter was completely clogged. Hopefully this is the cause of my surging issues which is why I decided to open them up.

Whats with all the rust inside my carbs, is that normal? And whats the easiest way to know if I need to rebuild with new parts or if I can use the old ones?

I have a 94 XP (657) and a 95 XP (717) they don't have RAVES correct?

Sorry for all the questions I'm slowly learning from this forum and the shop manual as I go.

Ethanol in today's fuel causes the rust. Use marine stabil with at least every other fillup. More if you do not ride it as often.

Yep... what he said. I also add a few oz of 2-stroke oil every few tanks. It will keep rust in check.

Could we get size replacement for those screws??
Need to get a set to finish rebuild.
Could I get them at HD/Lowes??

I had the exact same issue.... I used a dremel tool with a small diameter cut off wheel and put a small groove in the screw head. Then used a common screw driver to back out the screw.

But by the looks of the screw I would try the hand impact screw driver first.

Good luck

already out.
Just need new screws.
Need to know size of replacement and if HD or Lowes would have them.

Could we get size replacement for those screws??
Need to get a set to finish rebuild.
Could I get them at HD/Lowes??

Metric. 4x13 mm countersunk. I don't have my pitch gauge in front of me... but they are course threads.

Probably not something that you will find in the hardware store. (At least not in the USA)

Thank you.
Did'nt want to bother you again in pm.
But if you have a set. Throw them in lol

Also, any chance you have a air box bottom plate where arrestor screen sits in. Need the single opening b/c I converted the dual carb to single....

Nope... I just pulled one out of an old carb to measure. Also... I don't have any single carb air boxes. (I have a few double's though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back