Stripped allen socket

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since this is my first rebuild I've never seen so many Allen bolts before. And I stripped a couple trying to remove the rear motor mount sheet metal piece. Any better mousetrap ideas other than a vice grip?

PB Blaster and let it sit. Keep soaking everything down for a few days then try the vice grips. I've had to drill a few. If you have a small torch you can warm the bolts a few times... that might help.

I spent a week, used heat, mixed concoctions, tried every tool in the arsenal, and a few other methods to loosen 12 head bolts on a 787. I also damaged a few tools and managed to get 10 of the 12. No cigar, I still had to cut the head up to get the bolts out. Be gentle till gentle don't work no more. LOL Good Luck !!

One tip that works some times is to find a torx driver that is close in size and pound it into the stripped socket head. Then you can usually get them out. It may still require heat and penetrating oil, or both

If you have to drill it, drilling stainless at a high speed will just harden it and make your life harder. If you do have to drill do it at slow speed and use pressure.

Also if you have to drill, Besides the slow drill speed and heavy pressure use an oil that has a lot of sulphur like mitee threading oil or the type used in a pipe threading machine. Stinky, smoky but it helps not burn the drill bit.

I had to drill an exhaust manifold stud that was snapped. Only a cobalt bit would cut into the stainless steel. I went through a whole package of regular bits and they dulled out in seconds. The cobalt bit drilled right into it and even made long spiral shavings. I was then able to get it with an ez-out, but barely. That was after lots of heat cycles and penetrant. I even used beeswax and a propane torch. Actually, until I used the beeswax, the ez-out wouldn't turn. It would start to twist like a torsion bar under the load of the wrench. I didn't go past that because i didn't want to strip it or snap it. After a few heat cycles with the beeswax, the ez-out started to turn and I got it out. It was a goosechase finding real beeswax though. I finally found it at Chamberlins herbs & vitamin store. From what I had read, regular candlewax and toilet wax rings don't work.

I guess it would act like a penetrant or lubricant. Maybe the sizzling creates pressure. I'm not sure. I just know I had a stuck fastener and after using it the fastener came out. I had the manifold off, so gravity helped it go down into the threads. It's worth trying if the regular methods don't work. I've seen the youtube video where they try it on rusty bolts and it doesn't work, however this was aluminum and stainless and I had the part positioned where I wanted it.

Had a tight carb bolt on my 787, used a rounded bolt extractor over the hex bolt no spray lube you need it to grab took like 20 min no heat just nice and easy, threads were in good shape after too

Chemical loosen as above. For removal after chem treatment, I glue an allen tool into the bolt head with JB weld 24 hour cure. Then immediately, I wrap tightly the bolt head and the tool with grey tape until I have a 1 inch diameter roll of grey tape on the bolt and tool. I use a lot of JB weld on the bolt head so it actually gets into the grey tape. I wait 24 hours for the JB to set. Then I grab that grey tape twist and pray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back