sticky throttle and shift cables

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robman66

I am the happy new owner of a Seadoo jetboat !!!
I bought a 2000 Challenger 2000 a few months ago, with the 240 EFI engine. Engine is clean and runs great (previous owner had it running on the hose for me). Hull is in nice shape. Colors are faded, but having it buffed and polished next week, so the shine should come back. He didn't use it at all last year, so it has been sitting for a while.
Previous owner kept the boat outside, uncovered. So upholstery is destroyed. I have all of the seats out and being redone.
Needless to say, it has been quite the project so far, but looking forward to the end result.

The control handle for the shifter was broken when I bought it.....so I bought a new control handle assembly.
The current cables seem a bit sticky (but could be the old shifter assembly as well). I'm wondering once I get the new shifter assembly in, and if I lube up the cables and the linkages, do you think it will free them up a bit more. They move now, but seem a little stiff. I've spent enough money already this season so if I don't have to replace them, I would prefer not to.

I am also in the process of changing all of the filters, spark plugs, temperature sensor, and bypassing the oil injection to the pre-mixed system to avoid any major failures. I am emptying all of the current gas and fluids. And have had to redo the lighting on the trailer, and replaced the tires.
Anything else you can think of that I should do before hitting the water?

I will attach before and after pictures in my next post.
Thanks
Rob

Congrats and welcome. (and run, before it's too late !!! LOL)

OK... sounds like you have it all covered, as far as what to do for your first ride.

As far as the stiff cables... If it was me... I would go out for that first ride before even thinking about them. You can try to get some silicone oil down in to them... but that normally doesn't help. Basically... the metal jacket will rust, and swell the inner plastic lining. That makes them stiff. But... they could go another 10 years, and just feel stiff. I have a Polaris PWC and the steering is stiff... but year after year... it just keeps working. And... when I'm out riding it... it doesn't bother me.

With that said... get your new handles mounted... lift the seal/boots on the ends... and spry in some silicon oil, and see how it feels.

Thanks for the speedy response Tony. Your knowledge and insight that you share on these forums are greatly appreciated. I have learned so much.

I will install the new control assembly and lube up the cables and see where that gets me.
One thing I found odd was that the slot in the bottom of the control handle that holds the outer sheathing of the cable is a different size than the current handle. The small slot accommodates the reverse cable, but the indented groove in the sheathing for the throttle cable is larger. So I have to use a Dremel and open up the slot in the new control handle. I'm not sure if a new throttle cable would have the smaller sheathing or not. There are two slots on each side, so I guess I can take my chances and open one up.
I will take pictures tonight and share.

Mine were really bad (almost immovable) when I first got my boat. Take the entire bucket & nozzle assembly off and you'll see some plastic spacer that bolts go through. Get a dremel or sandpaper and reem out middle until bolt moves freely. Saltwater makes the plastic spacers swell and this fixed mine. My throttle assembly and cables were not part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back