Steering wheel hub removel

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

illru

Trying to remove my steering wheel hub but it seem to be seized on. None of the normal automotive pullers look like they will work without eating up the hubs plastic. The service manual is not much help. I have the key way soaking in oil right now. Any one else run into this? Any ideas would be great!

Attachments

• Inkedhub_LI.jpg
    Inkedhub_LI.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
It bested me today. Had to put it back together before something broke. A medieval idea that came to mind today was remove the nuts from the inside that hold the helm in place and tap (beat) the shaft back till the hub comes off. The nuclear option is a 12 inch blade on the Sawzall and cut the shaft off behind the hub and replace the helm.

But first i'll try to find a better hub/gear puller. I'll post up when I have a solution to this.

Somewhere, I remember reading DO NOT DISASSEMBLE STEERING BOX.
Don't know why. I have been tempted to open mine to see if I could get rid of some of the play in the system.

Keep us posted.

Somewhere, I remember reading DO NOT DISASSEMBLE STEERING BOX.
Don't know why. I have been tempted to open mine to see if I could get rid of some of the play in the system.

Keep us posted.

Really?!? I serviced the one in my 1997 Speedster to take out play. It was unremarkable on its inside. I can remember looking at this Islandia one after i bought the boat and thinking "Oh good it looks like the same one, I can fix that." Maybe i'll take some pics to post up when I get it open.

**update**

I took a Sawzall to the shaft behind the hub and cut it off. Then beat the bit that was seized inside the hub out. The new helm has a generous amount of anti-seize on the shaft. Their is not much to these helms on the inside, could have rebuilt it but oh well. At least my steering is nice and tight now.

Attachments

• helm1.jpg
    helm1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 15
  • helm2.jpg
    helm2.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back