Steering question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the steering on my 2009 Challenger 180 is off, I have to turn the wheel to about 10 0'clock to get it to go straight. Other than that it has no issues turning at idle or at speed, it's just off center a bit. Any issues with just unbolting the steering wheel and rotating it so that straight is straight?

Interesting I have the same issue. I just assume it's some kind of weird trim torque issue like an airplane.

When on dock I look at the steering wheel it's straight and the nozzle is straight but under power I have to turn it to one side to make it go straight.

It seems like the steering on my 2009 Challenger 180 is off, I have to turn the wheel to about 10 0'clock to get it to go straight. Other than that it has no issues turning at idle or at speed, it's just off center a bit. Any issues with just unbolting the steering wheel and rotating it so that straight is straight?

Is this at all speeds?

Yes. I keep the wheel turned about 15-20* to the left (about 10:30 on a clock) to keep it going straight. I have no issues with moving the boat around I just have to remember to keep the wheel slightly turned if I want to go straight ahead

Yes. I keep the wheel turned about 15-20* to the left (about 10:30 on a clock) to keep it going straight. I have no issues with moving the boat around I just have to remember to keep the wheel slightly turned if I want to go straight ahead

The nozzle is adjustable at the back of the ski... If it is past the amount of adjustment you have left, then the cable has stretched..

I have this issue as well. But only when i am at full tilt boogie. :)

It will pull to the right and i have to hold it straight. It isnt as bad as some of the others have stated. I dont have to turn the wheel to the left to go straight. Just have to hold it firmly in place when at higher speeds.

If it happens at speed one of the cable mounts or, the cable housing has failed.

If it isn't secured in place, when you accelerate the housing flexes and that affects the steering.

Very common for the cable housing to fail on boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine behaves like X-Runner described, seems to worsen when I have the bimini up and wind loads under it. It did this when my boat was new and under warranty, dealer said they checked nozzle and it was straight, but at WO throttle it pulled. I always assumed it had to do with the torque and rotation / direction of the impeller much like the term "Prop Walk" on prop boats which pull / walk left or right depending on which way the prop turns.

Impellers don't create a prop walk or torque situation like a prop does as it is housed within a tunnel.

in the manual it says how to adjust the nozzle parallel with helm straight. there adjustment at the nozzle end of the cable for slight adjustments also the helm end for greater adjustment.
don't forget jet boats will yaw more, depending on load place, currents and wind.so the helm will be very rarely centered, more so at lower speeds.

My 2009 180 Challenger at speed always tends to want to turn a bit so have to hold the steering wheel against it, however no where near 10 O'clock - it seems to be affected by an unbalanced load. I did , however,have a very bad steering problem this year after the dealer fixed a leak under warrantee - then the boat would not steer left at all at speed !!- just dead straight - problem was the stainless steel extension from transom out back had its' crimp dislodged by the mechanic when he had things apart resealing all. The cable when steering right is in pull mode, for left it is pushing the inner cable. So at speed for left it would bend/flex like a wet noodle so would not turn left at all - at lower speeds it did steer left as it was not overcoming as much force. Check your cable at the back and see if it appears the outer shield has not become disconnected at the transom. Maybe hold the nozzle steady while you have someone turn the steering wheel and observe the cable to see if it remains rigid and straight.
P.S. The dealer blames BRP and charged me for the repair, however I know it would not have become dislodged in service. In the meantime warrantee had expired so it cost me $400 plus bucks for the dealer mechanics screw up. Don't get me started on dealer mechanics, I have had incompetence from more than one of them more than once, but that is another story.

I have my 2009 180 SE out today and observed the steering - my steering wheel is at 11 o'clock at full speed (90kph) - It has new steering cable and alignment checked correct. If your's is at 10 O'clock it is probably normal enough - I expect at speed the cable bows somewhat at speed when it is trying to push on the drive nozzle. Turning right pulls the cable so there is no flex problem in that direction . I doubt doubt the cable is anchored continuously within the hull, so it must flex a bit - not a real problem.

This is an interesting conversation... I have the same issue, but I attributed it to the fact that we have no rutter, and tide and current is the reason. Point being, my wheel is straight at speed, only on a smooth day with a slack tide. At all other times, you are steering against the current to go straight, therefore the wheel is turned to counter the tidal direction. When in a canal, the wheel is at 12 o'clock when going straight...

The most annoying problem I have is when in a docking situation, my boat goes 2MPH in neutral... Slight reverse is my friend!

Never noticed that problem, happy to keep the boat straight at speed. Have fun and don't look for problems.

I believe you can adjust the bucket for a more "neutral" position.

I left the challenger at the local Seadoo shop and they were able to tighten the connections on the rear. I must have buggered it up when I replaced the bearing grease last summer. $130 isn't a bad deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back