Shop Discount Sea-Doo Parts

starting issues

Khan 74

Water Crafts
03 GTX 4-tec Superchrged
04 RXP 4-tec Supercharged
Hi all, I have 2 seadoos with hopefully the same problem. Both have been sitting and not used for about 9 years. first is an '03 GTX 4-tec supercharged, and the second is an '04 RXP 4-tec supercharged. On both, engines will not turn over. Here is what I have done so far.

Batteries are good on both, and grounds to the engine are good on both.
DESS post reacts normal on both. 2 beeps, then 4 short beeps every few seconds after.
start/stop switches test good on both, with good continuity when pressed.
I have 12V getting to the Starter solenoids. (When I complete ground to the solenoid with the DESS key on the post they both turn over.)
Good continuity in all wires going from start/stop switches and DESS posts to the ECU and MPEM.

Something is not finishing off the ground side, not really sure where to look next. Hopefully someone can help here. I am thinking that it is not coincidence that both skiis have this same issue after sitting so long.

Thanks in advance.

Water Crafts
2001 Sportster LE 951 Carbed
I'm not clear on what the problem is? They crank fine but won't start? If yes, I'd test the fuel pressure.

If they've been sitting that long, the electric fuel pumps are likely corroded inside. The fuel if any, would be incredibly stale as well and should be disposed of.

There's really not a good way to pickle an electric fuel pump for long-term storage that I know of but filling the tank with fuel+stabilizer then disposing of the stale fuel while bringing it out of mothball might work. I just don't like storing a full tank of fuel, it's a lot of waste to dispose of, for one thing.

Khan 74

Water Crafts
03 GTX 4-tec Superchrged
Thanks for the reply, I should have been a little more clear. The problem I am trying to figure out right now is why the engines won't turn over by pressing the start/stop button.

Water Crafts
2001 Sportster LE 951 Carbed
Got it. There's 12V on one side of the starter solenoid coil and the MPEM/ECU normally sinks the other side of the solenoid coil to ground when the start button is pressed. In this case it's not happening and there's no indication of a problem reported by the buzzer.

FWIW, my older seadoo will do exactly this if the shifter isn't in neutral, with no buzzer beeps.

Maybe this diagnostic procedure can help?
http://files.brptuning.ru/Bombardier/Manuals/PWC/4-TEC-DIAGNOSTIC-PROCEDURES.pdf

Water Crafts
Bennington Pontoon, Mastercraft X2
Hey if you figure this out I have the same issue with my 2003 GTX 4-Tec supercharged as well, exactly same issue. The only thing mine is doing is making the solenoid click click click as though the ground being controlled by the ECU is turning on and off quickly, to quick to allow solenoid to actually pull in and supply power to starter. Could there be a relay around the ECU that is faulty.

Water Crafts
03 GTX 4-tec Superchrged
I will, thanks. Have you tried jumping a ground wire straight to the solenoid bypassing the ECU? Let me know if you figure out your problem as well.

Water Crafts
Bennington Pontoon, Mastercraft X2
I will, thanks. Have you tried jumping a ground wire straight to the solenoid bypassing the ECU? Let me know if you figure out your problem as well.
No that’s my next trial. I do know if I take battery and charge with positive disconnected and hook back up it will start but not for long thinking the battery is either bad or is taking a very hard draw. Maybe the ECU is sensing low volts and takes starting circuit off line. The unit is at my cottage so won’t get to it for another week or so. Good luck with yours and I will keep you filled in

SPONSORED LINKS

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member