Starting issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Br3bcb

I am trying to get a 2000 challenger started but having issues. Have a fully charged battery but the starter only engages and turns the flywheel a very small bit And then just starts clicking. The boat has been sitting for about three years so I cleaned all of the contacts on the battery cables. Someone mentioned that this could be a starter problem and may need to be Replaced. Does this sound about correct?

Try pulling the spark plugs and turning the flywheel by hand. If it turns easy its probably the starter, if not you have bigger problems.

Have the battery Load Tested. It can show full Voltage, but have low Cranking Amp Capacity. Have seen several batteries with 13.5 volts that would not turn a starter.

Thank you guys. Battery is pushing 905 cranking amps. I will try the plug removal and see what I get this weekend. I have a video of what I am getting but can’t figure out how to post it.

Have the battery Load Tested. It can show full Voltage, but have low Cranking Amp Capacity. Have seen several batteries with 13.5 volts that would not turn a starter.
Battery is putting out 905 cranking amps. It was Recommended that I bench test the starter. So I will try that this weekend along with removing the plugs and seeing if I can turn the flywheel as well.

Try pulling the spark plugs and turning the flywheel by hand. If it turns easy its probably the starter, if not you have bigger problems.
Okay so finally had time to get back on it. Pulled plugs but noticed the armature on the starter did not/ would not go back down. Hooked up battery and turned key and was able to get full rotation on flywheel no problem. Starter definitely needs to be replaced but looks like engine is turning freely though.

Your battery is dead.

Put a volt meter on the terminals, and try to start it. I'm guessing you will see the voltage dropping well below an acceptable limit. (less than 10.5v and nothing is going to happen)

Your battery is dead.

Put a volt meter on the terminals, and try to start it. I'm guessing you will see the voltage dropping well below an acceptable limit. (less than 10.5v and nothing is going to happen)
Thank you Dr Honda. Brand new battery and throwing 905 cranking amps. Pulled the starter off and I am pretty sure it is shot. Now to find a replacement.

How do you know it's throwing 905 amps? Did YOU actually measure that on a load? Because if you did... and the starter wasn't spinning... pulling 905 amps would have made a lot of smoke and sparks. Heck... I weld aluminum with only 100 amps.

Over the years... I can't tell you how many new, dead batteries I've seen. Especially from Chef Auto parts, Walmart, and Interstate.

Anyway... sure... it can be the starter, but it's a quick and easy test with a volt meter to check the battery.

With that said... once you get the starter off... take it apart. It's generally A LOT cheaper to clean it, and replace the brushes, than to get a new starter. FYI... most of the aftermarket starters SUCK. (They may only last a year or two)

How do you know it's throwing 905 amps? Did YOU actually measure that on a load? Because if you did... and the starter wasn't spinning... pulling 905 amps would have made a lot of smoke and sparks. Heck... I weld aluminum with only 100 amps.

Over the years... I can't tell you how many new, dead batteries I've seen. Especially from Chef Auto parts, Walmart, and Interstate.

Anyway... sure... it can be the starter, but it's a quick and easy test with a volt meter to check the battery.

With that said... once you get the starter off... take it apart. It's generally A LOT cheaper to clean it, and replace the brushes, than to get a new starter. FYI... most of the aftermarket starters SUCK. (They may only last a year or two)
Thank you. I had the battery tested and I should of stated 905 cranking amps at 12 volts. I have the starter off and will try to clean it myself as finding a replacement hasn’t been easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back