Starter relay... click, click click! :-(

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael211_2000

Ok so it was starting fine late last October when I winterized it and put it up for the winter season.... now though, it takes 5 to 6 pushes of the Start/Stop button to get the starter to engage (click, click, click, click, click, click, vrrrrmmm!). Battery is good, new last Fall and had Battery Tender Jr. on it all winter long... so, probably the relay is going bad.

I read somewhere something about taking the relay off and sticking it in a kitchen oven for a few hours to dry it out inside and get a little more use from the thing... but at what temp would that be safe? I'll order a new relay tomorrow (any recomendations for a new improved one, or just get another OEM one?)... but I'd sure like to recesitate this one for a few more trips to the lake over the next week or so if possible! :banghead:

- Michael

Not that anybody ever chipped in on my posting here....

But anyways, I replaced the starter relay with an OEM unit I bought for $17 delivered... it went from click, click, click, click, click, START to just START! 5 times in a row I've started it now, without a single click... so much better!

However, how come everytime I try to work on this Seadoo my fingers turn to butter? I swear, I can't hold onto ANYTHING hardly, everything wants to fall from my fingers down under that engine! Grrrrrrrrr! :-(

Interestingly while I was trying to retrieve my ONLY 10mm socket from underneith the engine, I noticed my supercharger to carb air hose was popped off at the carb. Now how'd that happen? So last time I was at the lake I noticed it didn't seem to have as much kick to it on the hole-shot and at 60 mph it seemed to be slowing down (I attributed it to really rough lake at the time). I'll have to remember to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't pop off again. I'm suprised I was hitting 60 mph in such choppy water with the SC not sending air to the carb in fact!

So anyhows.... if your Doo is clicking instead of starting, change the starter relay. I may order another one just to have a spare... but think I'm going to take the old one apart 1st and see if I can tell what was going on in there. Maybe there's something inside it I can clean? IDK.

- Michael

I asked because the 4tecs have had solenoid problems. SeaDoo has come out with a updated solenoid and it is black.
If you have problems again make sure you get a black one. :cheers:

P.S. I've seen a few of those supercharger hoses bow off like yours. I guess just check the clamp ever so often.

Last edited by a moderator:
SeaDoo has come out with a updated solenoid and it is black.

Well I asked in my OP, but nobody chimed in with any other suggestions so I went with OEM brown for lack of any better ideas. I wasn't sure if the black ones would fit and work correctly or not.

I hope to figure out why this original one quit working, if it's just corroded inside or something.

- Michael

Just went down to the dock to check the color of the relay I just replaced.(with less then one hour on it) It's Black and it failed.

go figure.

Just went down to the dock to check the color of the relay I just replaced.(with less then one hour on it) It's Black and it failed.

go figure.

Wow! That's bad. Might as well go brown. :leaving:

ps. There's a seller on Ebay selling brown OEM SeaDoo starter relays for $17 including s&h. Looks exactly the same as the one I just took off my RXT, and it works (at least for now). Will have to see for how long.

- Michael

Sometimes these starter solenoids fail because the battery voltage is low which causes the starter and solenoid to get hot.

The real question would be what is the battery voltage when it is put under a load?

Hi, first time on the forum. I am having starting problems too on 2004 GTX. It was starting off and on, but the other day I went and picked up the ski - it started fine, but when I got to the lake, wouldn't start. It just clicked one time in the starter solenoid. I called Sea Doo repair shop and the guy swore it was the starter solenoid. So I bought a new one (black - replaced the brown one....). Installed it and it is still doing the same thing - click and that's it. The battery has about 13 volts - brand new. I checked the repair manual - possibly a cable?? Any thoughts from you experts? I really hate the idea of replacing a starter. Also, does anybody know what it takes to replace the starter? Do you have to pull exhaust manifold or can you get it out without doing that?

Hi, first time on the forum. I am having starting problems too on 2004 GTX. It was starting off and on, but the other day I went and picked up the ski - it started fine, but when I got to the lake, wouldn't start. It just clicked one time in the starter solenoid. I called Sea Doo repair shop and the guy swore it was the starter solenoid. So I bought a new one (black - replaced the brown one....). Installed it and it is still doing the same thing - click and that's it. The battery has about 13 volts - brand new. I checked the repair manual - possibly a cable?? Any thoughts from you experts? I really hate the idea of replacing a starter. Also, does anybody know what it takes to replace the starter? Do you have to pull exhaust manifold or can you get it out without doing that?

I'd take the battery to an auto parts and hae them test it under load before replacing any parts. testing the battery while trying to start may show it to be bad too. Mine was showing 13.2 volts but dropped to 6 when it cranked the engine. you may not eeven have enough power to crank.

I'd take the battery to an auto parts and hae them test it before replacing any parts. testing the battery while trying to start may show it to be bad too. Mine was showing 13.2 volts but dropped to 6 when it cranked the engine. you may not eeven have enough power to crank.

Quickest way to verify the starter relay works is to arc across the terminals with a screwdriver... that should send full battery power to the starter and it should engage and turn the engine. Now I have had automotive starters develop dead spots before, so I guess it is possible your starter has a bad spot. But, when the starter stops on a bad spot it is almost impossible to get the thing to rotate off that spot and engage again. Ergo, if after pushing the Start button several times the starter does actually engage and turn the engine over, then it's definitely the relay that's at fault IMO.

You should of course check the battery cables for any signs of white powder (corrosion) and clean as necessary.

To get to the starter you'll almost certainly have to pull the exhaust manifold out of there. There's almost no way to reach the starter with the exhaust manifold in place, and you sure can't see the thing past the exhaust manifold! It's not that hard to remove it, just takes about 30 minutes and some patience.

I also agree with having your battery tested (most auto parts stores will test it for free) if it's more than 1 season old. It may be putting out 12+ volts, but may not be putting out any amps (which would account for your "click" problem also).

You've already replaced the starter relay, so next I'd suggest taking the battery out and to an auto parts for checking.

- Michael

Thanks guys. Battery is brand spanking new, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything... I have cleaned the cables. Manual says to check the 30A fuse, but I can't find it.....

However, how come everytime I try to work on this Seadoo my fingers turn to butter? I swear, I can't hold onto ANYTHING hardly, everything wants to fall from my fingers down under that engine! Grrrrrrrrr! :-(
- Michael

Lay a couple of old towels under the engine crevice before starting. That way dropped items stop there on the towel and you can retreive them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back