seadoo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, NEVER USE A JUMP PACK! you can, will or already have fried the MPEM computer.
1. Replace the bad positive battery cable and check all other cables and connections.
2. If you have an OEM starter open it up and replace the brushes and brush holder.
3. Have the battery load tested, even new batteries have been seen here to be bad.

Not all the jump packs are the same but they have a really strong record here of frying the computers on the Seadoo's and there is even a sticker on your ski that says, "DO NOT Boost Battery".

Aftermarket starters are junk and not worth anything let alone rebuilding and yes they just quit for no reason.
Get a used OEM one and throw in a set of brushes.

Even if he disconnected his battery completely and used his jump pack as his battery source? I understand the issue with boosting a battery, but not using a jump pack in place of, especially if it is a battery pack and not an converted DC source.

From what I understand, the boosting issue has to do with electrical spikes, over-voltages and bad/missing grounds. Any of the three can definitely fry a micro-controller.

Even if he disconnected his battery completely and used his jump pack as his battery source? I understand the issue with boosting a battery, but not using a jump pack in place of, especially if it is a battery pack and not an converted DC source.

From what I understand, the boosting issue has to do with electrical spikes, over-voltages and bad/missing grounds. Any of the three can definitely fry a micro-controller.
It would be even worse without the battery as there is no "buffer".

Okay (yes ive seen the sticker, just presumed it meant off of a running vehicle which I wouldn't do!)

Okay I'll get searching for a second hand one, first of all ill pull mine off and bench test it to make sure it is toast.

Previous to this I have had multiple fuel problems, ended up getting a second hand carb and rebuilding that as my carburettor body had had it. When this was all going on there was a lot of cranking but no starting or just coughing ( as you can imagine)
I was able to crank the engine over (with my new battery) for say 10-15secs then it would start to slow, so I would leave it for a few minutes and it would crank fast again. I presume this was down to high resistance when the starter/starter positive lead were hot and if this positive lead had been dodgy for a while that wouldn't have been helping. Does that make sense?

Thanks
Yes, the constant cranking could have very well ruined the starter since like I said, the AM starters are junk at best.

This almost exactly what happened with my xp.

I ended up replacing the brushes on my starter and after that it was cranking just fine. Another couple hours on the motor and it turned out these were all signs of my crank begining to seize. Found this out by the ski dying in the water and my cousin having to be towed back in. Upon disassembly I discovered a mess of shrapnel from a rod bearing seizing that ultimatley took the top end with it.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, but from my experience I would suggest doing a thorough inspection of the internals before returning to service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back