Starter going bad?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jforest

I rebuilt the 787 in my 1996 GTX last month. I have been trying to get it running but when I try cranking it, it will crank on the first try of a freshly charged battery as long as I hold the start button. Once I release the start button and try a 2nd time, I might get lucky that it will turn over but the 3rd time, it wont happen. I'll crank it for about 10 seconds at a time trying to get it to start (I believe I have a carb issue but that is a different topic). With the spark plugs removed, the engine will spin freely but as soon as the spark plugs are back in, I have issues getting it to crank.

Long story short with the battery...I purchased a new battery from O'Reilly's and they filled the battery incorrectly. Took the first battery to a different store. They filled it incorrectly as well. I'm going to take it back and get another one so I can fill it myself now that I have a slow charger.

I've noticed the cables coming off the battery seem warm after trying to crank it.

Is it possible the starter is going bad or should I be focused on the battery?

Is the new battery AGM? I bought a cheapo Walmart battery for my ski and it wouldn't turn the engine over.

I also have a 96 gtx and had very similar issue, went thru 3 of the fill type batteries. Spent the extra to get an AGM battery( sealed type) and never had an issue again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back