RESTO started as 97 SPX, now 01 RXX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanSquires

Since my current restoration is entering it's final stages ( http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?81804-95-xp800 ) I thought I would go ahead and pick up another restoration project.

This 97 SPX was listed on Craigslist for $350 OBO, I shot the guy an email on Thursday evening with an offer of $250. He accepted, and on Saturday, 11/19/16, I picked up my new baby.

The engine is low on compression, and the seat was lost to the highway gods. Everything else about the ski is practically mint, and came with a factory cover that has some fading, but no tears.

Plan is to rebuild the engine, do the carbs, and fuel lines. I've got a spare seat that needs recovered, and I'll add mats. Other than that and a good bath, the hull is so clean it doesn't even need a hosing out. Scratches on the stickers are purely on the stickers, there's not even a scratch on the rear grab bar.
20161119_111245.jpg

Final stages? Last I saw you had a stripped out hull with no engine and hadn't even finished buffing it yet! Sounds like you got about 75 % of the project still ahead of you :) !!!

HAH!

Little touch-up here and there with the polisher, mechanically I just need to bolt in the engine and pump, the easy stuff that would take me a few hours to knock out.. the hard part is done.

update: Life moves quickly.. doing some trading.. this ski is off to a gentleman in trade for a really cool project that will match the 95xp 800 well..

I am keeping the handlebar pad, though.

The replacement.
22.jpg

The hull is about as cherry as you can get. The twins, pump, and mpem are all long gone, but the rest is immaculate and will make a very nice ski.

Someone sent me a screenshot of it for $600. Normally I'd have it shipped in but I just didn't have space at the moment. Glad to see it went to a member.

Someone sent me a screenshot of it for $600. Normally I'd have it shipped in but I just didn't have space at the moment. Glad to see it went to a member.

Dang. I didn't know 600 was such a good deal. I was 20 min from the guy selling it, didn't think it was worth it but I guess I was wrong.

The steering and the seat are worth more then $600. The hood is big money also because it fits the big four strokes. For them it's like getting a single gauge mirrorless yellow hood of an XP800, but even more rare.

Are u gonna put the twins back in or just make it a rx?
I'm not sure I'll go back with twins.

I'm pretty sure I've got enough parts laying around to initially put it back together as an rx, other than an mpem. I'm aiming to just get it back on the water this spring, and play with it from there.

Hey, an update on this.. the RXX runs!

I have a decent stash of parts, the rest I cabbaged parts here and there for the past year or so, finding some decent deals along the way. It has been a low priority for quite some time, but I finally decided to spend a day and get it together since it's finally getting into the 80's here.

I picked up an 00 for the pump and MPEM a few months ago, pump ended up being in perfect shape with a brand new wear ring.. so that was awesome.
I then picked up a "broken" 98 xpl just last week.. I don't think the engine has 5 hours on it since the rebuild. And it used all OEM parts, so that was awesome. Like, super duper clean inside.. impressively clean.
I had the proper mag and pto laying around, so I threw those on and in the RXX it went. That ski also donated its exhaust hose, and waterbox. Until this morning, when I picked up a DI waterbox, so that will be added.

The original sponsons that were on the ski actually came back to me about two months ago, so those will be put back on, and I had to order a new steering cable since it was sold during the part-out.

Ski has been nick-named the RX/, or RXX lite.. it is what it is. Missing the original twins/pump/mpem, but that's ok.. it's extremely mint and should be an enjoyable ski.
I didn't do any pics really, sorry, I suck at that.
FB_IMG_1508805880286.jpg20180430_211535 (1).jpgreceived_10216547120976411.jpegreceived_10216552463829979.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back