Start problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark37

Hey everyone,

I got stuck on the lake the other day. I cut the boat off for about 10 minutes and when I went to start it, it would barely turn over with no start. I thought the battery was dead even though it was fully charged earlier that day. After getting it back home (towed), I charged the battery and tried to start. Slow crank no start. Voltage at battery 12.5 . The voltage coming from the solenoid when starting was .22. I thought it was that so I replaced the solenoid. Now voltage from the solenoid when starting is 9.5 to 10.5 . Do you think it is the starter? Just wanted to check before I get a new one

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Is your battery still good? Maybe your battery can no long produce enough current

So if it is turning over very slowly, but the battery and the solenoid are good, does that mean it is likely to be the starter? I am assuming a defective start button and or neutral switch would result in no cranking.

Pull the main cables, wiggle the ends, if they crunch or any powder comes out, replace them. If they are good to go, clean and reinstall them. At the Battery, solenoid, starter and the grounds.

Your solenoid is likely good as it is functioning. But to test, simply jump the solenoid. If it turns over at the same speed as when you press the button. Solenoid it good.

Starters fail pretty often, but you MUST know the cables and connections are good before you go there.

Do NOT. Buy an aftermarket starter, most are junk. If yours is an OEM, order s brush kit and rebuild it.

Thanks Coastiejoe! I will do that. I did have a place replace the starter 2 years ago and i would be willing to bet he put an aftermarket one in. I will check the other stuff first

Pull the main cables, wiggle the ends, if they crunch or any powder comes out, replace them. If they are good to go, clean and reinstall them. At the Battery, solenoid, starter and the grounds.

Your solenoid is likely good as it is functioning. But to test, simply jump the solenoid. If it turns over at the same speed as when you press the button. Solenoid it good.

Starters fail pretty often, but you MUST know the cables and connections are good before you go there.

Do NOT. Buy an aftermarket starter, most are junk. If yours is an OEM, order s brush kit and rebuild it.
Ended up the ground cable was bad. I'm glad I didn't buy a new starter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back