Squealing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajack

Just got back from the lake, ran my 27 hour 2017 GTI about 5 minutes, then it stopped moving and is making a loud squeal. It starts and runs okay, but won’t move in F or R. I don’t see anything in the impeller. Is this a bearing problem, or could something be in ahead of the impeller?

Are you telling me that something major has broken? What would happen to the driveshaft splines and why? This Sea-Doo just turned one year old and has only 27 pampered hours on it. I’m taking it in to a shop today. The lakes here have been at flood stage all year and I’m just now starting to use it after putting 25 hours on it last summer.

Last edited:
Just guessing but usually loud squeals with no movement forward or back and motor is running good is driveline and driveshaft splines are a fairly common driveline issue. Usually in high hp skis when wake jumping but have also seen Sparks with driveshaft issues.

yep- if that engine is running, then the impeller should be turning all the time- it's a direct connection to the crankshaft via the output sleeve. if the engine is running and impellor isn't spinning (no forward movement) then there's an issue with the drive shaft splines- my guess is the splines on the "softer" shaft somehow broke / stripped. can't imagine how it happened, but getting a lot of air jumping wakes could cause the impeller to "shock" the driveshaft when there's suddenly no water (friction) going through the pump. that's why I always release the throttle just as I jump a wake and the pump is out of the water- otherwise, as the ski comes back into the water, it puts a ton of stress on the driveshaft as a high rpm impeller hits the water and starts pushing it out the nozzle again- that's not good. Since I'm directly on the lake in big cove out of the main area, ski's always use our cove to play in and I always hear skis jumping wakes with their throttles pinned while in the air- I just cringe.

Last edited:
No wake jumping here. I’m 72 years old, been there, done that. It would have to be a defective part. I just left it at the shop, should know something in a day or two. Sea-Doo dealer here has shut down. Luckily their mechanic is still in business. Biggest problem is he doesn’t have access to BRP computer diagnostics. Maybe he won’t need it. I’m 100 miles from a dealer now. Disadvantage to living in a small town, getting anything serviced can be a problem.

that's awesome that you're in your 70's and riding jet skis! hope I'm not too crippled to enjoy the water at that point!
i cant see why he'd need a computer- basically just dropping the pump, removing a c-clip and pulling the drive shaft out to get a good look. wont take too long unless there's damage to the crankshaft. hopefully, just a bad driveshaft- back on the water in a couple of days. you can literally pull a driveshaft out in 30 minutes.

I have a Sea-Doo B.E.S.T. extended warranty, probably not a chance that it will pay since I’m not using a Sea-Doo dealer.....boat is 15 months old with only 27 hours!

I have a Sea-Doo B.E.S.T. extended warranty, probably not a chance that it will pay since I’m not using a Sea-Doo dealer.....boat is 15 months old with only 27 hours!
Actually, I've had fantastic experiences using the BEST warranty on my Seadoo skis and can-am Outlander 1000- I was in Canada riding trails when my power steering unit crapped out. I took it to a trail-side garage somewhere just north of the border in Jackman Maine - I called BRP and told them what happened they directly spoke to the shop owner and sent the parts out overnight and got me back on the trail. It blew my mind. I also had bent handlebars on a new seadoo I bought, it's a long story on how the bars got bent but the Seadoo dealer wasn't going to cover the warranty because he said it was abused- (i guess it was) but I called BRP and made a stink about it, they gave me a case manager and made sure the dealer replaced the handlebars- a month later it went back in for a new fuel pump that they also covered. You might have to make a phone call and go over someone's head but I think BRP will come through for you. BRP has always done right by me which is why I've owned a dozen can am ATV's and seadoo boats.

Just determined that I either need a drive coupler or a prop shaft, so I’ll be taking my Sea-Doo 70 miles to the nearest dealer. Stay tuned.

Update on my GTI 90: Dealer confirmed that the motor was not aligned properly at the factory in Mexico. He replaced the damaged coupler and prop shaft under my BEST warranty. Cost to me = $50 deductible + 340 miles of driving (2 trips to and from the dealer). I plan to ride it today, so hopefully there won’t be any leaks or problems. The engine had to be removed to perform this work. I’m not impressed by “assembled in Mexico,” and surely won’t be buying anything else mechanical that was. This includes cars and trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back