SPX stalls when I release the throttle, Lots of water in Hull.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mooneyk20

Hey Guys/Gals.

I have a 94 SPX that was running like a top last summer. Took her out this year and noticed she would start and stall immediately after I released the throttle. She'll run if I continuously hold the throttle open but as soon as i release it stalls again.

I took the seat off to have a look an noticed an abnormally high amount of water in the hull ( filled up about 1/3 of my shop vac)

Any ideas? I've done some research around this forum but can't seem to find anything regarding the stalling issue.

start there...they break down over time and send a green goo substance into the carbs and will make it run rough...also please do a compression test so we can rule that out

Ok great. I ll have a look at the fuel lines. Is the pressure test something I can do at home? What kind of equipment do i need for that?

yes you can do it at home just need to go to a parts store and buy a compression guage...

Sounds like it could be a clogged pilot jet which could be caused by the fuel lines brock is talking about. The water could be caused by a disconnected water line. I had one of the cooling lines come disconnected from where it shoots the water out the back of the ski and was just shooting it into the haul insted.

Sounds like it could be a clogged pilot jet which could be caused by the fuel lines brock is talking about. The water could be caused by a disconnected water line. I had one of the cooling lines come disconnected from where it shoots the water out the back of the ski and was just shooting it into the haul insted.

Well I finally had a chance to get out to the cottage and take a look. And yes we are still running the grey fuel lines so that will be my first plan of attack. How hard is it to switch them out? Is this a weekend warrior type job? Do I have to remove the engine or do anything crazy to get them switched. How do I flush the residual effects of the broken down lines out the pilot jet?

I took her down to the boat launch and believe some of the water maybe be coming in from the drain plug. It's pretty old and hard. Looks like there was a small trickle of water coming in from there. I would think after 2 or 3 hours in the water that small trickle would become a substantial amount of water in the hull. I'm going to try putting some silicone around the drain plug until I can find a replacement. Ahhh the joys of owning an old boat :)

I have never changed them out but if you go on seadoos website at the bottom click part catalogs and find your year and model it gives really good pics of where all the parts are and where they go. Just use that and it should show you all the lines and where the run... your going to have to clean your carbs. There not to bad if you have worked on carbs before. If not you might want to find a shop that will do them and tune them for you

Well I finally had a chance to get out to the cottage and take a look. And yes we are still running the grey fuel lines so that will be my first plan of attack. How hard is it to switch them out? Is this a weekend warrior type job? Do I have to remove the engine or do anything crazy to get them switched. How do I flush the residual effects of the broken down lines out the pilot jet?

I took her down to the boat launch and believe some of the water maybe be coming in from the drain plug. It's pretty old and hard. Looks like there was a small trickle of water coming in from there. I would think after 2 or 3 hours in the water that small trickle would become a substantial amount of water in the hull. I'm going to try putting some silicone around the drain plug until I can find a replacement. Ahhh the joys of owning an old boat :)

easy to replace, just do them one at a time and fish them thru to avoid mistakes...
if you want to clean the jet's, pull the carbs and inspect them for green goo, clean/.replace carb filters

the drain plug might be worn out or cracked, easier to replace them, (there might be an 0 ring that needs replaced vs replacing the plug itself) don't be gobbing it up with silicone, thats a temp fix to a perm problem

easy to replace, just do them one at a time and fish them thru to avoid mistakes...
if you want to clean the jet's, pull the carbs and inspect them for green goo, clean/.replace carb filters

the drain plug might be worn out or cracked, easier to replace them, (there might be an 0 ring that needs replaced vs replacing the plug itself) don't be gobbing it up with silicone, thats a temp fix to a perm problem

Hmmm good point. I'll track down a replacement drain-plug this week and ensure to get an O-ring if there is one.

I'll try and track down some replacement fuel line as well. is there a generic type of hose I should be looking for? I'm assuming I can just get a bunch of it and cut each piece to length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back