spun shaft / new impeller - advice?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry Bomb

I am new. I joined because I inherited a late 98 GSX Limited. Last Saturday the shaft spun in the impeller. I took it apart and I could see wear on the splines. But it looked like only the end of the shaft was worn. The splines further down looked fine. It looked like maybe the shaft was not all the way in. Plus, the shaft still grabs well when I push it in to the impeller.

In any case, I don't have a problem buying a new shaft and impeller (it is 20 years old and doubt it was replaced before). But, I want to make sure there was not a problem with the shaft not going all of the way in. Is there a known problem like this?

Also, I want some advice on options for the new impeller. I have seen several options (and several prices) so I'd really appreciate some advice on what to buy and where to buy it.

Thanks.

WES

Hopefully you have fixed the problem, if not I would replace the drive shaft since the splines where damaged. But your need to inspect pto and impeller splines also for damage.

A shaft should only have a few mm in play, and considering your not to familar with the ski yet, you should check your engine alignment and engine mounts to make sure its all good. Also grease up !

Hope this helps !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back