Sportster le overheating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwjosh86

My 2001 sportster le. on the garden hose runs and cools fine. When i put it in the water it will not piss and starts to overheat after a few minutes at idle. Brand new jet pump housing with wear ring and new impellor. What is wrong with this thing? Why does it not pickup water? I keep hearing different storie. Should i see it pissing at idle? What could be causing this problem? Please help

Sounds like a block in one of the cooling pipes. I'd take off each one and run a long tube through it, like a brake line or something, make sure they're not plugged. I'd also try to flush the engine by attaching the hose directly to the head somehow. You'll have to get crafty to rig it up, but make sure you flush it both ways and hopefully see some crud come out. Lastly, try to make sure that all of your metered cooling barbs to which the hoses attach are clear. I had a shell stuck in one on my boat. I think that's what led to the premature demise of at least two of the motors.

+1 on a cooling line blockage. What is overheating the exhaust or the whole engine? If its the exhaust you could have a bad water regulator. Does water come out of the pisser while running on the hose?

+1 on a cooling line blockage. What is overheating the exhaust or the whole engine? If its the exhaust you could have a bad water regulator. Does water come out of the pisser while running on the hose?
I pulled all of the hoses and cleaned them they are all clear so the problem is either in the the head or in the exhaust im guessing. Yes, on the garden hose it does piss but because the pisser runs off the exhaust side as well as the flush port i think the head is clogged up. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back