Sportster 4TEC Steering Cable Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

john galleher

Can someone help me out with removing the steering cable from a 2003 Sportster 4TEC? I can't seem to get to the 22 mm nut that holds the cable to the hull. Is there a special tool that I need? I tried a crowfoot but it wouldn't grab.

thx

Can someone help me out with removing the steering cable from a 2003 Sportster 4TEC? I can't seem to get to the 22 mm nut that holds the cable to the hull. Is there a special tool that I need? I tried a crowfoot but it wouldn't grab.

thx

Did you ever find out what tool you needed to remove the nut? I'm surprised it's been over a year and no one has answered this question.
I also tried a crows foot, but couldn't get it to grab.

I dont know specifically, but i do know if a special tool is needed, it would state that in the shop manual. Do you have the full shop manual. I highly suggest everyone own one for their watercraft.

I dont know specifically, but i do know if a special tool is needed, it would state that in the shop manual. Do you have the full shop manual. I highly suggest everyone own one for their watercraft.

I do not have the shop manual, but I am going to run down to the dealer today to get one. I read another post that said the shop manual didn't specify what tools were needed. The nut seems to be 13/16 or 22 mm, but it looks like it has RTV silicone around it. So that's going to be a pain to break free anyway. When I run down to the shop today, I'll ask one of the mechanics. I will post what he tells me in case anyone else with the same problem stumbles across this forum, much like I did.

Hi, after much frustration, I have finally removed the steering cable on my 2003 Sportster 4-TEC with help from this forum. I didn't think it was going to be possible without removing the reverse gate but somehow I managed to get it out. Though I did have to remove the scupper valve for a little more room. First, I removed as much of the RTV as possible. Next, I bought a 22mm wrench. After about ten minutes, I was able to get the nut to move slightly. After that, I just used my fingers to get the nut the rest of the way off. It's not easy but it is possible to remove the cable with basic tools.

Hi, after much frustration, I have finally removed the steering cable on my 2003 Sportster 4-TEC with help from this forum. I didn't think it was going to be possible without removing the reverse gate but somehow I managed to get it out. Though I did have to remove the scupper valve for a little more room. First, I removed as much of the RTV as possible. Next, I bought a 22mm wrench. After about ten minutes, I was able to get the nut to move slightly. After that, I just used my fingers to get the nut the rest of the way off. It's not easy but it is possible to remove the cable with basic tools.

Wow, I don't know how you did it without removing EVERYTHING out of the way. I ended up getting mine off also, but it took a while. After removing everything out of my way, I was able to see that there was a lot silicone all over the nut. I had to remove a lot of the silicone before I could get a 22 mm wrench in there, and little by little got the nut to spin. If I ever had to do it again, I would take a cut off tool and cut the cable flush with the threads on the sleeve, this way I could get a socket on there. After I installed the new steering cable, I decided on replacing the reverse cable which wasn't as bad.

The only reason I didn't take the reverse gate off is because one of the bolts was not turning. I was afraid I was going to break it. I had already stripped the head. Anyway, I was also thinking about cutting the cable. I think it would have been easier. I have a new cable on order. Can't wait to get it fixed and on the water again.

The only reason I didn't take the reverse gate off is because one of the bolts was not turning. I was afraid I was going to break it. I had already stripped the head. Anyway, I was also thinking about cutting the cable. I think it would have been easier. I have a new cable on order. Can't wait to get it fixed and on the water again.

Mine did snap. I had to drill out the old bolt. I made sure I used a good amount of anti-seize when putting everything back together.
Safe and happy boating!

To remove steering cable nut .Cut a socket in half. Weld a pipe (the correct length to slide over push rod) between two halves. Slide over push rod and turn off nut
Be careful you order correct cable Seadoo dealers have screwed up their part numbers. There is a long and short nosed attachment at the transom. I need short they sent long.

Back