Speedster vs. Sporster Cable Lever

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwhee87

The right side cable lever on '95 Speedster broke this weekend. Looking at a parts catalog, the one that came off my boat looks like it is actually from a Sportster. I've ordered the correct part for a Speedster, but now am thinking maybe the previous owner put a Sportster engine in the boat. Anyone know if the cable levers are interchangeable?

port/S-B

port motor or starboard. Left/right dont help, cuz we dont know which way your facing the boat...back/front

Well, the plastic cable lever that supposedly was for a speedster did not work. It was thicker and slid over the reverse gate mount (vs. mounting on the side of it. Also, they were about 2 inches wide at the end the cable ball joint bolts onto them. But, they looked like they would fit. All holes seemed (operative word) to align properly. I got some longer bolts and attached them. Off to the lake to test. Got out of the no wake zone and throttled up...no joy...they weren't allowing the reverse gate to completely pull clear of the jet, and began vibrating badly.

Back to the ramp, pulled the boat and put one of the old aluminum cable levers back on, and released the other engine and locked the reverse gate up. End of vibration.

When I checked the alignment of the holes a little closer, I found that the plastic part designed for the speedster has a little more angle to it, and the top bolt hole, where the ball joint attaches, is about an 1/8 of an inch closer to the outdrive than the aluminum one. Hence the reverse gate not opening fully to clear the jet blast.

Long story short, starting over trying to find the aluminum cable lever that matches what was on the boat....

I took the one good one I had left to a machine shop and had them water-jet me new ones from aluminum. I've installed them, but not tested them in the water. Once I make sure they work, I'll let everyone know and I can get some more made. They'll run between $15 and $20 apiece, depending on how many I order. Once I test, I'll post here and let everyone know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back