Speedster sat for 5 years

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Komplex1

I’ve recently come across a 2000 Seadoo speedster with the 240 Mercury for free. It’s sat for 5 years. It turns over but haven’t fully started it. I’m looking at draining the fuel, changing filters, flushing with some fresh fuel and refilling. I’ve heard the injectors should be cleaned too. Can anyone tell me if this is something I should have a certified mechanic do? I’m very mechanical inclined and have done similar procedures many times. Anything else I should be looking at or doing before getting it wet?

It's a good idea to do the injectors... but it may not be needed. I would get her running first, and see how it goes. But, if it needs done... it's not difficult to get the injectors out, (more of a pain in the butt) and I NEVER recommend letting a mechanic touch your boat. Once out... take them to a local injector service shop, and let them do a proper cleaning. (Normally around $100 for all 6)

Since it's been sitting... I would also spray some fogging oil into the sparkplug holes, and turn the flywheel by hand... and repeat a few times. Just to make sure the internals have some oil.

I would also give all the hoses and electrical a good look over, just to make sure that no little animals have chewed anything important.

Other than that... I think you have the right idea about bringing it back to life.

Hi complex, I have same situation with you, I bought a 2002 Challenger 2000 with 240 M2 EFI Mercury gen. 1 engine and the boat has been stored for more than 8 years and bought it very cheap and change everything with fuel, oil and spark plugs and didn't start at all. It turn over but it didn't start, so what I did is to remove the vapor separator and noticed a clog electric fuel pump and fuel are harden and rusted and remove the electric fuel pump in the vapor separator and bought an electric fuel pump in amazon from third party manufacturer non-OEM, mercury don't make them anymore, there is 2nd hand electric fuel pump OEM in ebay, but you'll never know if they will fail soon. Bought a new fuel pump with lifetime warranty in it, the maker is from California, I think around $70 but they will replace it if will fail and lifetime warranty. Finally the boat fired right up, but noted leak on vapor separator since gasket is old, so applied a gasket sealant and works well and now the boat is finally running well, change the port side temp sensor, air temp sensor and finally works very well. So the electric fuel pump in the vapor separator is the culprit since it does make a gum build up with rust and harden fuel inside. Take a loot at it and buy a manual from Mercury regarding proper installation and specs. The mechanic I hire at first cost me $120 to diagnose was unable to solve the problem and bought the manual myself and did my own job and works run perfectly well. I did not clean the fuel injector yet but if I see a problem in the future, I think the injector will be the one needs to be clean up. Dr. Honda, helps me a lot before so he's the veteran in this forum, so feel free to ask questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back