Speedster or Sportster?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Harrell

I recently sold my X-Star and bought a 42 ft Regal Cruiser and want a fun "go between" boat and would like to pull it behind the boat to our destination. I've heard you must get a "Clamp Kit" to avoid either vessel taking on water, but my budget is $3,000--$8,000 and I'd like advice of the pros and cons of each and figure out how to find a good one for sale and the value of the models I'm looking at.

I know Speedsters have a two-stroke engine and are louder, but is one more reliable than the other and are there any benefits of one vs. another?

I've seen LE's that are two-strokes, but same year and model that have the 4-Sroke. Can you guys please educate me.

My needs are obviously:

1. RELIABILITY - I never want it to not start or be hard to start and breaking down often, would defeat it's purpose altogether.
2. FUN TO DRIVE.
3. STORAGE
4. ABILITY TO PULL 4 KIDS OF 2 INNERTUBES.

Also, if anyone knows where a good buy is now I'm ready. What are the things to look for and things to consider carefully?. I am a fresh water guy only, here in Middle Tennessee and like my toys perfect and look good in every detail. My kids are pissed about losing the X-Star, so a nice sound system and something that would just be a BLAST for them....."us" to drive...would be a great replacement.

Please comment on either models...or others....and what you think.

Jay an Nashville

I'm not sure either of these would work for you. The main issue will be the exhaust manifold coolant lines. Neither of them are really vessels you would want to be towing any great distances. Regardless of the clamps, there is always a chance that water would get past and flow the motor. Don't get me wrong. Both are great boats and great fun, I just don't think they would handle towing that well.

Neither will tow well and neither will pull 4 kids on a tube. We'll not legally at least.

Thanks.

I'm not sure either of these would work for you. The main issue will be the exhaust manifold coolant lines. Neither of them are really vessels you would want to be towing any great distances. Regardless of the clamps, there is always a chance that water would get past and flow the motor. Don't get me wrong. Both are great boats and great fun, I just don't think they would handle towing that well.

We travel less than 5 miles at not more than 30 MPH. Am I still asking for issues? Lake travel only.....Also I see them pulling tubes all the time, but can't remember seeing 2 tubes, so I was simply wondering if they had the power to do so.

When towing one you'd have to keep your speed much lower than 30mph. Can they tow 2 tubes? Yes. The problem is that they only seat 4 passengers and most states require a spotter which leaves you with just 2 people in the water and 2 on the boat. Power wise it's not an issue.

I see nothing wrong with using a sportster or speedster for this. Towing the seadoo behind your boat should be no problem. It might like to slide from one side of the wake to another, but the boat can handle the pull. What I would do if I were to tow often is get some water shut off valves on the water cooling lines so you can just flip a switch each time. Otherwise continually clamping the hoses could wear them out.

Sportsters and Speedsters boat come in 2 and 4 stroke versions. Usually the speedster had a twin engine, sometimes they just have a more powerful one. I own a 155hp sportster and have had no issues pulling two tubes behind the boat.

I highly recommend the 4 stroke version on these boats. They fixed many little issues the 2 stroke version had and the 4-stroke is way more reliable and will require less engine rebuilding over time. I have owned 3 different 2-stroke boats and now I own a 4-stroke. Thats my opinion on it. Do what you like. The old 2-stroke body style were more fun to drive due to quicker turning and the ability to do subs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back