Speedster 200 Trim options - porposing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnart11

I just purchased a 2006 Speedster 200 and love it but hate the porpoising. It makes us travel at only about 1/3 speed for comfort. I have read the forum and searched online for options to prevent porpoising. I know that BRP made a plate extension part number 295500986 but I can not find it anywhere and it is extremely expensive for what it is. I have read references to others making their own modifications or using a trim tab kit perhaps. Has anyone done this and do you have details on how to make such a modification?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

We have a member here that makes a bolt on aluminum or stainless set. They will solve your issue. I don't recall who, either search the site or hope someone else recalls who,,,

If so, they will post it here for you.

[MENTION=31048]LouDoo[/MENTION], [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION], @Minetonka4me.
Who was doing the trim tabs (ride plates) for boats. I know he was getting them custom made in bulk,,, Simply don't recall who though.

Those tabs (actually tab) was for a Merc powerd doo.

Here is what you're after I guess
http://www.gearhead.com/can-am-295500986.html

It usually would say discontinued, but I can't guarantee they aren't. But I know these guys specifically will do a dealer search and ANY dealer in the US that has them will pop up. They will give you the dealer name and number and you can call and verify and buy them.

Now...the price............ I see they're $521. Currently you have a boat worth $16K that you currently run at 1/3 throttle. I wouldn't have an issue spending that money on some thing that works. I saw pics of them, probably about $300-$350 to make one set, before powder coating. So their price isn't really too high, again this is assuming you're going to a machine shop and having them make them, not a guy like me in a home shop making them on his milling machine. If I had a pair I could replicate them easily, but I don't.

I would email that place I posted and have them check dealer inventory, you might get lucky and find a dealer looking to dump them cheap.

Is someone making the trim tabs / extensions for the Speedster 200? I'm a new speedster 200 owner and would like to eliminate the porpoising.

Is someone making the trim tabs / extensions for the Speedster 200? I'm a new speedster 200 owner and would like to eliminate the porpoising.

I am actually going to attempt making them soon. I will update this thread when I have more information. I am going to initially try them with powder coated steel as that is what I have access to. Ultimately I guess aluminum would be better. I should have more information in about 2 weeks.

TSNART11,

Please let me know how it goes, I'm definitely interested in how it works out.

Thank you

Guys, read my install thread alittle up in the Modify section for boats-I put Lenco Tabs on my 200 speedster and can say this:
-They fix the bouncing 100% when down!
-When down they add a lot of drag, you can feel the drag go away as you lift them and the boat jumps up 15 mph
-The boat can still do mid to high 50s with them down but gas consumption is a lot higher
-Because I mounted them inboard-to stay away from the reverse thrust, the boat has a mild ROLL to it when down-not a worry but different
-I did the entire install for just around $700 in parts! TOTAL...you guys are looking at that cost for static tabs?????
-I would not want to lose the option to raise them as you would have w static tabs.
-I also get the best control when they are full down but pending on how many are on the boat-I adjust them alittle less or the nose is too deep-another issue you may have with static tabs.

Just food for thought, if you don't have time to do it right the 1st time.....when will you have time to do it over.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?65384-Trim-Tab-install-on-Speedster-200-w-Pics

Good Information. I will look it over. Since I would be making my own ride plate extension, I can do it for less than $50, the bulk of which is for the stainless steel screws as I have the metal. I appreciate the option for adjusting them, just not sure I want to spend that much for a modification to a 10 year old boat. Wondering how one of the air shock tabs would work mounted in the same manner. Those are less than $200 I believe. Still would not be adjustable though. I have some thinking to do I guess!
Thanks again!

I went that way because a static tab will always cause drag = less speed=more gas

guess you gotta balance the trade offs

I have made a ride plate extension for the 2005 Challenger 180. I would need to check specs on the speedster to see what if any mods are needed. For the dual pumps, I'm sure the design will need changing. This plate works awesome. It is made of stainless and aluminum parts. Top end speed is reduced by 1 -2 mph, although it plains out quicker and stays on plain longer & porpoising is non-existent. This part makes this boat worth owning, prior to this I was going to sell it faster than I bought it as it was so rough to drive. To contact me about more details use matt@hightec-construction.com.

210.jpg
211.jpg

Has anyone been able to find any of these trim tabs or ride plate extensions? I just bought an 04 speedster 200 and the Porpoising is horrible

Has anyone been able to find any of these trim tabs or ride plate extensions? I just bought an 04 speedster 200 and the Porpoising is horrible
I've looked EVERYWHERE and can't seem to find them. I'm in discussion with a local machine shop to build a pair for me. If I can successfully get it done I'll post something on it. Might be a Winter project for me.

Let me know if you do. I’ll go in on it with u. For now I’m gonna try adding a fat sac ballast up front to push the nose down.... I’m not happy about this as a solution but anything is better than not being able to go over 25 mph

I thought about a water bag/ballast, but in the end, you're going to sacrifice by taking on water whenever you come off plane...... This last trip to the lake, I got my wife to sit up front instead of in the left passenger's seat. It did make a slight bit of difference, but even with her sitting in the seat designed for it, the bow still dipped to let water splash over when slowing down or in choppy water.....and it still porpoised.......

Anyone get a set of those extension plates made up yet?
I was following in the merc section and someone was making them out of carbon fibre. Seemed like the way to go. He was saying he actually gained a little speed with the extension and it was a static set up... Screenshot_20180816-060754_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20180816-060750_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20180816-060743_Samsung Internet.jpg

Specs and Measurements...I need specs and measurements......... Hard to guess from photos......
I just posted it as an example from the merc forum... It looks as though we're going to have to come up with our own version of this... I'm thinking about trying to create a set out of stainless

In looking at all the other trim tabs (Lenco, Bennett) on the market, the majority of them are around a 12" extension on the rear of the boat. I guess about 1/3 of the entire tab should be attached to the ride plate, making the overall length about 16", and the tab should be the same width of the ride plate.

From the photos of the formerly available trim tab kit for the Sea Doo, it looks like only about a 4" extension of the ride plate. There are 7 staggered, flush mounted screws that hold the tab onto the ride plate. The tab itself is two-pieces with the mounting plate and an adjustable deflector. Best I can tell, the deflector is about 1/4" adjustable to give some down pressure at the rear.

Attachments

• 578.jpg
    578.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 103
  • S200_012s.jpg
    S200_012s.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 106
  • S200_013s.jpg
    S200_013s.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 98
  • S200_023s.jpg
    S200_023s.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 108
  • tt2.jpg
    tt2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 105
I was reading a post on one of the installs of the seadoo kit and the only measurements the guy gave was the top plate. He said it was 4"x12"x1/4".... If that is correct it would look like there is a 1/16" spacer plate between it and the lower plate and that would make the lower plate appear to be 2"x12"x3/16" (so that 1/2" long bolts would come flush with the bottom of the lower plate when inserted from the top)... And the max adjustment is 1/4".
Does that sound at all right to you?
I'll see if I can find that post and screen shot it

Actually after looking at the one picture again it looks like the bolts are inserted from the bottom up in to the lower plate lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back