Speedster 150 Neutral Override Switch for Fogging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordo

I am posting this for those that do their own engine winterizing and find it is a pain to hold the mechanical throttle to WOT when it is time to fog the engine. That was exactly my scenario this weekend, my 2010 Speedster is tucked into the corner of my garage and getting access to the mechanical throttle to add a tie wrap proved to be very difficult while working from within the boat. I figured that there has to be a better way given that I need to do this every year. Given that the engine can not be started unless it is in neutral and the computer only knows this by monitoring one switch, I decided to add an extra bypass override switch for neutral. I determined that the switch is closed in neutral position so if I splice in another switch that can be set to open or closed then I can normally leave it in the safe normal (open) position. However when I need to fog the engine, I now can activate the switch (closed position) , put the lever to forward, move the throttle to maximum and then crank the engine and it only turns over with no spark or fuel flow. I labeled the switch and hid it under the storage bin so that only I would use it when doing maintenance. Hope this may help another Sea Doo jet boater. As a lessons learned do not spray SPS anti corrosion spray near the micro switch at the throttle location. It caused my neutral switch to no longer work. I ended up taking apart the switch mechanism and replaced the switch with a similar $5 micro switch saving myself $75 as I did not need to buy a Sea Doo replacement. Here are some pictures to help clarify what I did with regard to adding the override switch. I would add that doing any of these modifications are at your own risk as the neutral feature is to prevent the engine from being started in either forward or reverse.
sw 2.JPGsw 1.JPGIMG_1467.JPGsw4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't 4tec's already have a fogging port on the top? Wouldn't you fog the engine on the last ride of the season before it's put away? I'm only asking, I'm a 2 stroke guy and I fog when I know I won't be out on the water for over a week. All I do is start it up and let it idle and fog it until it begins to choke out then I stop fogging let it idle smooth again and the load the fogging oil up until it chokes it and shuts off. Not sure why you need to go wide open on a 4 tec when you should probably do it at idle. Again, I'm only asking, not trying to be a wise guy.

I just double checked the Sea Doo Operators Guide Manual, it says to use the throttle body port on top to lubricate the throttle body using XPS lube with the engine NOT running. In the section on fogging the engine it writes about removing the spark plugs and holding the bell crank to wide open and spraying in XPS fogging oil. I guess procedures are different depending on the type of engine, two stroke vs 4 stoke and maybe even model to model. I also found the procedures for 4 tec engines that I followed on you tube but no where did I see the overide neutral switch modification.

bell crank.JPGthrottle body lube.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back