speedometer not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanseadoo

I have a 1997 seadoo xp and the speedometer doesn't read anything. I replaced the speed sensor and it still doesn't work. Is there any way to test the gauge or fuse?

Last edited by a moderator:
speedo test

Follow the wires from the speed sensor till you reach the plug. If you have a multimeter/ohmmeter you can test the sensor by putting the positive on the red side of the plug and negative on the black side and then get someone to spin the paddle wheel for you... it should start to register continuity on the meter gauge. You should be getting between 5.5 and 8.5 volts. Does your water temperature work?

speedo test

Follow the wires from the speed sensor till you reach the plug. If you have a multimeter/ohmmeter you can test the sensor by putting the positive on the red side of the plug and negative on the black side and then get someone to spin the paddle wheel for you... it should start to register continuity on the meter gauge. You should be getting between 5.5 and 8.5 volts. Does your water temperature work? Also check to see that none of your wires are squashed somewhere along the line or have loose connections...and check your fuse.

The speed sensor is good, all the wires seem good, anyway to test the speedometer?
I don't have water temp on my seadoo.

Some info on the wires. The PURPLE wire is the 12 Vdc power source of the speedometer. The BLACK wire is the ground. The PURPLE/YELLOW wire is the pulse signal from the speed sensor.

Unplug the speedometer and put test probes in the plug and check for restistance. Also check all the wires mentioned above for cuts and check all connections making sure they are attached and clean. :cheers:

I have my 12v and ground at the speedometer, how do I test for the pusle from th speed wheel at the back. Can't seem to get a reading. The wire is good and the speed sensor is brand new.

why bother its not accurate just get you a hand held gps and some velcro

Attachments

• 81.0 MPH.jpg
    81.0 MPH.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 202
ya I probably should have done that, I just replaced the gauge and it still doesn't work. It's a used gauge but it's supposed to work, but I dont know how to test it.

On the rear of the seadoo is the spedo gear. It has 2 or 3 wires coming off it inside the hull of the doo. Using a multi meter between 2 of the 3 wires you should get resistance as the small wheel spins, indicating the sensor is good . You only need 2 wires but if it has 3 wires the 3rd wire is for a temp sensor on some models. If you get no resistance from the spinning wheel then the sensor is bad. The gauge is not able to be checked, or repaired as it is a sealed unit.

Karl

Hey just a thought.... i know you have to get into the software and "TURN ON" your speedo for it to work.... wonder if this could be your problem? Worth a try... takes 10 seconds to do.... just hook up V.C.K. from dealer using B.U.D.S. and turn on speedo... my dealer charged me $40 just to do that by the way and i watched him do it!! Never been back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back