Speed sensor anyone?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

XARiUS

I am in need of a speed sensor, i purchased 1 on ebay that wasnt tested, and turns it it worked sometimes when i coiled it a specific way, which i couldnt do on demand if my life depend on. So, i put the volt meter on the bilge plug and got like 10v when i connect the sensor it goes to 5.5423 and will go to about 5.9 when I spin it. Thinking its no good as manual calls for 5.5 to 8.5 when the paddle is spun.

Does anyone happen to have a spare laying around??:cheers:

I am in need of a speed sensor, i purchased 1 on ebay that wasnt tested, and turns it it worked sometimes when i coiled it a specific way, which i couldnt do on demand if my life depend on. So, i put the volt meter on the bilge plug and got like 10v when i connect the sensor it goes to 5.5423 and will go to about 5.9 when I spin it. Thinking its no good as manual calls for 5.5 to 8.5 when the paddle is spun.

Does anyone happen to have a spare laying around??:cheers:

Not sure which ski you need it for and I do not know the cross reference but here is a new one I bought on EBAY. Looks like he has plenty of them left. The wiring colors were different than on my ski. To use it on my 95 GTX, the colors were red/brown to purple/yellow, black/brown to black and yellow/black to blue/purple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400389349823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

What model and year ski do you need it for. I've got a new one 278000276 it's a 3 wire, wire colors red, yel. w/blk, and black. I think it fits early to mid 90's ski's. Since it's new I would ask $75.00 and I'll pay shipping.

Lou

Was yours the 2 wire or 3 wire speed pickup? Mines the 2 and I think the link is for the 3 wire :/

Not sure which ski you need it for and I do not know the cross reference but here is a new one I bought on EBAY. Looks like he has plenty of them left. The wiring colors were different than on my ski. To use it on my 95 GTX, the colors were red/brown to purple/yellow, black/brown to black and yellow/black to blue/purple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400389349823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Was yours the 2 wire or 3 wire speed pickup? Mines the 2 and I think the link is for the 3 wire :/

You can use the 3-wire sensor for the same year, just don't need the third wire b/c it's for the lake water temperature sensor. That's the tan/orange wire you wouldn't use if you don't have the lake water temp gauge.

The lowest voltage when the sensor is on is ~5.7 volts and it should go up from there to at least 8.0~8.5 volts or more when the sensor is off, so your hall sensor is not working. The hall effect sensor pulses off/on as each magnet in the paddle passes by the sensor.

You can use the 3-wire sensor for the same year, just don't need the third wire b/c it's for the lake water temperature sensor. That's the tan/orange wire you wouldn't use if you don't have the lake water temp gauge.

The lowest voltage when the sensor is on is ~5.7 volts and it should go up from there to at least 8.0~8.5 volts or more when the sensor is off, so your hall sensor is not working. The hall effect sensor pulses off/on as each magnet in the paddle passes by the sensor.

Hmm.. not the same year, i think this is for a 96

Is there a difference? Or can I use and just not hookup the temp sensor?

If you go back far enough, the design used to use a three wires prior to a circuit redesign to two wire then they added the water temp sensor which required a third wire, that one doesn't look like the correct one due to wire colors and the '96 application.

I'm looking on ebay now for the correct one, they usually have them..... hold on for a few minutes...

Well I don't see a new one yet but I'll look again tomorrow.

You want 278001595, the three wire one that has: black with orange stripe + purple with yellow stripe + tan with orange stripe

or

The one you have 278001668 with just two wires: blk/or + pur/yel

The connector has to be taken apart using a Delphi pin extracting tool, not sure if you have that tool worked out but they're on ebay for just a few dollars and you'll be able to use it again on other connectors in the future so it's a pretty good value:

Delphi p/n 12014012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370504592169?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you want to use the older sensor, it should be possible I think to do that if you attach a 5.7v 1/2 watt zener diode between the red and yellow wires, with cathode of diode being connected to the red and anode of diode connected to the yellow. In this case, the red wire would become the signal wire.

I haven't tried this myself, but if the three-wire sensor uses a hall effect sensor and is wired internally the way I think it is (I have not disassembled one of these) then doing this would be the functional equivalent of the two-wire sensor.

If my assumption is correct, then that would mean for the older red/yellow/black wired sensor the red wire must be the 12v supply, the yellow wire is the sensor switch, and black wire is the ground. It could be the other way around with yellow being the 12v power and red being the signal, I'm not sure how it's wired in the boat and sometimes yellow is the 12v power but in this case they didn't use purple so it's a guess which is the 12v power(red or yellow). This assumption would be incorrect if the sensor contained a lake water temp sensor or used a considerably different hall effect IC than the newer sensor.

So if it works, then you're the guinea pig!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back