Sooooo apparently dess keys dont float!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brock1

Well i had another mishap on the bay and although i wasnt out there as long i think this one takes the cake......So last night my GF had a friend come up to visit from chicago...she had never been on a pwc before so we decided what better way to break her in than to take her on the bay.... I know that i am going to get LOTS of criticism for this but i dont care........so i get out of work at 7pm last night and head riught home and hook the trailer up...we grab three lifejackets and a tube to pull behind the ski...everything is going great we stop and gas her up this time (fill this time) LOL then we head out and launch...now the place we launch at has about a 10-15 min no wake zone out around the pier....so i let them ride the ski out and i just walked down the pier to the end and met them ......its pretty shallow for about 100 yards out from the pier on all sides so i get in the water and strat walikng with the tube and meet up with them...i hook the tube on and of course i have to ride the darn thing first ...... so they pull me aorund for a while and everything is gong great...keep in mind that we only have 1 ski becasue the GSX is broken.... and the ski we have is my 96 XP...somehow in the process of them beating the hell out fo me on the tube we ended up about a mile from shore...it was pretty calm out just a little choppy so we stopped to take a break and i offered to drive and pull both of them..they agreed and i seen her unhook the lanyard from the vest and it was on the post..her friend jumps off and then she jumps off...i swim up to the ski hop on and and go to grab the lanyad and ITS GONE :puke: ...somehow in the transition it got knocked off and apparently they dont float ......so now we are a mile out on the bay with a realistically 1 person ski with three of us floating in the water and no way to start the ski....now of course this is all my fault you know......so to make a long story short we were in the water from 7:30 to 12:00 trying to swim this thing to shore in the dark...by the way i had a whistle, fire extinguisher, flares , cell phone(no service) and a first aid kit....none of those do any good on the bay when there is NOBODY around you..... we finally got to shore after walking through a bed of rocks that were covered with zebra mussels..(my feet look like i sent them through a meat grinder) and got off the water and returned home safely........lesson learned????? YUP im done on that part of the bay for a while and i will never go out with only one ski again

call your local seadoo shop, some places will do the programming for free if you buy the lanyard from them.

called them they would have to order it and they want 150 for key and programming but if i take them this key they will do it for 25 bucks

yeah they dont like me there LOL they are the ones that sold me USED parts and would not return them..(see other thread)...their mechanic basically told me to come down and we woulod settle it in the parking lot...LONG STORY....the next closest dealer is 3 hrs away ...i just bought the one on ebay that i posted...i called the guy and he was very helpful i told him what happened last nightr (see above) and he said he will ship today and upgrade to 1 day shipping...cool guy.. I have another buddy that owns a marina and he has the ability to program it for me for free so all i need is the key....

Well that sure does sux. I didn't know the keys needed to be programmed. Im glad I got two with mine. I'll be sure to put one of those $2 key chain floats on them lol.

yup me to from now on that $2 is well spent..... only the DESS kind need programmed...the kind that give the 2 beeps when you put them on

Brock, Brock, Brock........!!!!!! 2 lessons learned this year. What's will be next?

BTW, my dess comes with a built in float....didn't yours? Or was it chewed up enough that it didn't float?

But again, we are glad that you, your GF and other friend are OK.

Here is pic of mine. I just tested it and it floats...(thanks for the reminder to test it).
Also a separate float as Rich mentioned...I use it for keys to locks and my hoist keys

IMG_0558.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
the float looked ok...(apparently not) ......yeah it was a scary experience especially with 2 girls out there who decided they were too tired after 5 min of swimming so one climbed in the tube and the other on the ski so there i am alone swimming against the current.....

ya thats bs, call another dealer. doesn't your dess have the yellow spongie thing ?
i'm pretty sure mine floats !

i won't say a word about riding solo (oops, i just did)

I KNEW SOMEONE WAS GOING TO MENTION THE RIDING ALONE THING!!!!! hey it happends and i am a hardcore rider ....im out all the time and when someone wants to go who has never wrode im all for it..LOL

ya thats bs, call another dealer. doesn't your dess have the yellow spongie thing ?
i'm pretty sure mine floats !

i won't say a word about riding solo (oops, i just did)

NOT TO MENTION: riding two up on a 2 seater ski and pulling a tube, against the law in any state!

you're not allowed to have more people than the vessel capacity with the combined number of people on the vessel and in the water being towed (tube, kneeboard, wakeboard, skis, doesn't matter). some states also require a backward sitting spotter and mirrors for the driver, which would require a minimum 3 seater ski....

glad you're alright. I'm going to check to see how well mine floats now.

sounds like quite the swim!

quite a swim indeed sir....try 3 hrs of nonstop swimming...oh and i forgot to mention that we had a storm go over us around 3pm yesterday and for some reason when we were out there it was hoovering over the bay...so lightening was striking all around us

Hey Brock,

Did you ever think about contacting the History channel, they have a show "Great Lake Warriors", I think you would be perfect for the part.

Lou

I LOVE THAT SHOW.......i knwo you guys are gonna get on me for this one but the other day i wrode to the CHARITY ISLANDS by myself too....its about 17 miles out ...i was surprised that none else was there i was all alone out there.......FYI dont ever take a 96 xp on that long of a trip......i think by the time i got back i was on fumes

I LOVE THAT SHOW.......i knwo you guys are gonna get on me for this one but the other day i wrode to the CHARITY ISLANDS by myself too....its about 17 miles out ...i was surprised that none else was there i was all alone out there.......FYI dont ever take a 96 xp on that long of a trip......i think by the time i got back i was on fumes

about how many hours were you running. Just so I can get a idea since my gas gauge doesn't work.

oh geeezzzz ummmmm i dont really know i was going pretty fast...it took prolly an hour each way i would guess i stopped a few times but that would be my best bet.....why dontt you just fix the float in your guage...been there done that ...(see other thread)

about how many hours were you running. Just so I can get a idea since my gas gauge doesn't work.

hours are only an indicator, depends on how hard you ride, but in general, with a 9 gallon tank,
your looking at 40ish miles round trip max,
at hard throttle, thats less than an hour.
yes.. you can burn up an entire tank in an hour :)
fix your gauge, its usually a cheap fix !
or at least make sure your fuel selector works (reserve)

yeah they dont like me there LOL they are the ones that sold me USED parts and would not return them..(see other thread)...their mechanic basically told me to come down and we woulod settle it in the parking lot...LONG STORY....the next closest dealer is 3 hrs away ...i just bought the one on ebay that i posted...i called the guy and he was very helpful i told him what happened last nightr (see above) and he said he will ship today and upgrade to 1 day shipping...cool guy.. I have another buddy that owns a marina and he has the ability to program it for me for free so all i need is the key....

From the looks of things you might should have checked to see if the guy had 2 :lol: Just kidding Brock. Glad you made it back safe and sound bro. :cheers:

one thing i'll comment brock, since i'm mr safety here with all my preaching about the dangers of riding solo. ( i was towed in myself just this Sunday)

isn't it frustrating that you can't find other hardcore ski addicts ? i'm lucky that I have two really die hard fanatics that I ride with almost every weekend, the the occasional weekday afternoon, it took me two years to find them ! I've washed thru several other ride buddy's that i eventually stopped calling since they always wanted to ride the same boring spot, and only once a month.

but keep looking for ride buddies ! eventually you'll find someone thats just as addicted as you and then you won't have to worry about going out alone.

I think we all jump at the chance to ride but Brock, you are flirting with the devil here. A family from my town was at the beach this week and got caught off the boat by a thunderstorm. They tried to jog back to where it was moored but didn't make it. The dad was carrying his son and they were struck by lightning. The dad was doa and the son is still critical. Don't become a statistic Brock. Two boats! No storms! Ok, I'm done. Take care man, for your wife's sake.

Kevin

Brock I love your honesty and enthusiasm. It takes a tough SOB to dig in and haul that load home like that. Most men would have balled up and pissed on themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back