So this is how the season starts.........

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Broke trail through the snow covered yard, with the four wheeler, to retrieve my xp. Got it pulled off the stand onto the trailer. Fought through the snow with sea-doo layden trailer to the garage. Pulled the battery off the charger and installed it in the machine. Double checked the fuel was in the tank, oil in the tank, fuel selector is on, tether cord is on, pulled the choke and gently pressed the starter. Expecting that sweet sound of cranking followed by the growling of a motor, slightly akin to a grizzly roar coming out of hibernation, followed by a wave of fogging oil burning off creating that cloud that fills the whole yard like a sweet morning mist.

Well......

It cranked for a few seconds and that POS aftermarket starter died...

I took it down, cleaned the brushes, commutator put it all back together and it would hardly spin on the bench with a 50amp charger on it..

I got on ebay and found an OEM starter for $24 with free shipping and got it on the way. I then set that after market starter on the garage floor, calmly retrieved my sledge hammer and proceeded to obliterate it, the starter that is.

Yes there is some snow on the ground, but the river is developing a channel in the ice and I was looking to get "first tracks" tomorrow. My next chance is, maybe, three weeks away.

Hope everyones season starts out better.

btw - the other three DOOs, all oem starters, started without a problem. The problem is they are on the other side of the snow pile that still needs to melt before I can get them out.

Last edited:
Broke trail through the snow covered yard, with the four wheeler, to retrieve my xp. Got it pulled off the stand onto the trailer. Fought through the snow with sea-doo layden trailer to the garage. Pulled the battery off the charger and installed it in the machine. Double checked the fuel was in the tank, oil in the tank, fuel selector is on, tether cord is on, pulled the choke and gently pressed the starter. Expecting that sweet sound of cranking followed by the growling of a motor, slightly akin to a grizzly roar coming out of hibernation, followed by a wave of fogging oil burning off creating that cloud that fills the whole yard like a sweet morning mist.

Well......

It cranked for a few seconds and that POS aftermarket starter died...

I took it down, cleaned the brushes, commutator put it all back together and it would hardly spin on the bench with a 50amp charger on it..

I got on ebay and found an OEM starter for $24 with free shipping and got it on the way. I then set that after market starter on the garage floor, calmly retrieved my sledge hammer and proceeded to obliterate it, the starter that is.

Yes there is some snow on the ground, but the river is developing a channel in the ice and I was looking to get "first tracks" tomorrow. My next chance is, maybe, three weeks away.

Hope everyones season starts out better.

btw - the other three DOOs, all oem starters, started without a problem. The problem is they are on the other side of the snow pile that still needs to melt before I can get them out.

Time to build an underground man cave!!

My "fleet" of DOOs had three out of the four come with aftermarket starters, all of them failed. This was a spare that came with the XP. I put it on last year expecting it to fail sooner than later. Everything has, or will have, oem for this season.

I just had to "send off" the last %#$^&ing one with some attitude to match all the frustration they have given me over the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back