Smoking hot ground wire from magneto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRQGTX

I bought a "project" 1994 GTX. I need to clean up some of the hack jobs from the PO, but it has good compression, cranks over and has spark. It's been sitting a while, so I anticipate rebuilding the carbs will be necessary to get it running. Noticed today that when cranking it over, the black (I assume it's ground) wire going from the magneto housing to the electrical box is getting really hot - hot enough to melt the insulation. This is part of the 4-wire bundle that goes from the magneto to the electrical box.

I have a shop manual so I'm tracing these wires out. The odd thing is, I have an additional heavy gauge black wire that also goes from the magneto to the electrical box (see pic). This heavy gauge black wire is not included within the wire wrap with the other 4 smaller gauge wires. I can't find this wire shown anywhere in the manual, so I suspect I may have a non-original engine, or at least a non-original magneto.

I would suspect the hot ground wire is due to a bad ground connection, but I just can't find anything wrong. Could there be something wrong with the magneto causing the ground wire to get hot?

Also, do any of your machines have this additional black wire?

Attachments

• 20181112_155237.jpg
    20181112_155237.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back