Smartcraft Monitor Install in a Utopia 205

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Racereddie

Finally got all the pieces from ebay to install a Smartcraft Monitor. There are two system monitors, one is square and the other is round but they are the same inner working. The round monitor needs a 3 3/8" hole while the square one, (round in the back) needs a 2 1/8" hole so I went with that one. Once I decided that I was going to only use that single monitor I researched that I did not HAVE to have the junction box or caps I just needs a single cable (read also as less money) with terminal resistors on both ends (84-879982T20). For this cable the #2 before the "T" means it has 2 resistors, the 20 after the "T" tells you that it is 20ft long. Reading the 240hp EFI manual and other manuals I found online I was able to figure exactly where the cable connected to the engine. I will post pictures of the process.

Eddie

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding the engine plug

The plug is a 10 pin and is located on the forward part of the Starboard side of the engine. It is capped, once you uncap it you will see that the inside of the plug is purple.
IMG_0297.JPGIMG_0298.JPGIMG_0299.JPGIMG_0300.JPGIMG_0301.JPG

Connecting the cable

When you read everything online it makes the job seem harder than it really is. Once I got the cable it simply points with tags that it has a resister on each end. It also lables the gauge vs the engine side. The gauge side also has wires for an alarm horn and a system link connector if you want to add other gauges, again this eliminates the need for a junction box. Other system gauges also use a 2" hole so if I care to I might be able to fit two into the console spares on this Utopia.
IMG_0405.JPGIMG_0406.JPGIMG_0408.JPGIMG_0409.JPGIMG_0416.JPG

The gauge

Simple in design and hook up. Once installed, and the key turned on, it checked the engine year, type (sportjet), default it lables it as the STBD engine, gave me the hours 178, engine temp 73, checks for gallons used and gallons flow rate. I will have to go through the fuel tank calibration. It has three methods, one standard, one is based on sensor reading and the third is by putting gas in and stopping every 1/4 of a tank and telling the monitor that you are at each quarter. I may try to do that this week.
IMG_0410.JPGIMG_0411.JPG

Running cable

I was dreading having to run the cable, but the bulb went off in my head. I got a flashlight, removed the back rest on the STBD bow which allows access into the steering console. I set the flashlight pointing aft and found that it runs clear on the STBD side all the way aft. I pulled the lobster tickle sticks (3 needed) I had and ran them forward from the stern while tapping the cable. I tried to put a slope on the way I connected the tape to make sure the cable did not catch and that became the smoothest cable pull for me.

IMG_0412.JPGIMG_0413.JPGIMG_0414.JPGIMG_0417.JPGIMG_0419.JPG

Placement in console

Now the work began. I had to cut a larger hole in the same area that I had my Hawkeye depth sounder, that straight line cut became a more rounded cut. The Hawkeye was placed in a standing unit that they sell. Actually cheaper to get it from them than on ebay. Once I cut the fiberglass, the install went smooth again. I would say the total time took about 5-5 1/2 hours. Without putting it in the water or starting the engine yet, (will do that tomorrow) I think it has gone pretty simple. Once I test it will post what actual info it gives me for this engine. I hope it helps some one who was thinking of doing this mod but was unsure.

IMG_0420.JPGIMG_0425.JPGIMG_0426.JPGIMG_0427.JPG

Great post! Very helpful & made the thought much less scary...Thanks.

That is what I was hoping the post would do. I love the gauge it is simple but gives all the info you really need. AND the fuel measurement is very accurate, it needs an additional cable, but when it said I had used 40 gals in my 40 gal tank the engine died. I had a 5 gal can, I came prepared, just wanted to see.

Eddie

Alright Eddie, a few follow up questions if you would....
I just received my monitor, which came with a short harness with many connectors. I found the 10 pin, but it seems that this harness is meant for a j-box connection. My 2t20 harness should be in next week. I was hoping to get an hour reading, but the monitor cant find the engine with this harness (I hope).

-Am I correct to understand that the 2T20 harness only has one connection each for the engine & monitor? (no other wiring)
-I have the 250 Opti engine, but I assume similar enough...does your monitor give these readings:
-eng temp, water press, oil temp, oil press, batt volt, seawater temp?
Not sure if these readings would be available. I will not be connecting depth, speed, or any temperature sensors, but it seems I can turn these displays off.
-How did you manage to make the hole? The hole saw I have is pretty course; I am a little scared to start this - I only have a 2 1/4 - have to buy a 2 1/8" - so I was hoping for a recommendation for the hole.

In reading through the forum, found some great tips, just painted the dash, bought some hi-temp insulation for replacing the deteriorated engine foam, and got a new speedometer. BTW, the speedometer looks stock, but cost $79 from greatlakes skipper & eliminates wiring with a clean connector - just didn't come with the back support to secure it.

I'm looking forward to any tips you may have, Ill try to figure out how to post pics when I get it in.

Thanks!
Scott

Alright Eddie, a few follow up questions if you would....
I just received my monitor, which came with a short harness with many connectors. I found the 10 pin, but it seems that this harness is meant for a j-box connection. My 2t20 harness should be in next week. I was hoping to get an hour reading, but the monitor cant find the engine with this harness (I hope).

-Am I correct to understand that the 2T20 harness only has one connection each for the engine & monitor? (no other wiring)
-I have the 250 Opti engine, but I assume similar enough...does your monitor give these readings:
-eng temp, water press, oil temp, oil press, batt volt, seawater temp?
Not sure if these readings would be available. I will not be connecting depth, speed, or any temperature sensors, but it seems I can turn these displays off.
-How did you manage to make the hole? The hole saw I have is pretty course; I am a little scared to start this - I only have a 2 1/4 - have to buy a 2 1/8" - so I was hoping for a recommendation for the hole.

In reading through the forum, found some great tips, just painted the dash, bought some hi-temp insulation for replacing the deteriorated engine foam, and got a new speedometer. BTW, the speedometer looks stock, but cost $79 from greatlakes skipper & eliminates wiring with a clean connector - just didn't come with the back support to secure it.

I'm looking forward to any tips you may have, Ill try to figure out how to post pics when I get it in.

Thanks!
Scott

The short cable that the monitor came with, is for use with a junction box, the other way to see this is that without terminal resistors the cable doesn't work which is one of the reasons why the the short cable needs the junction box AND terminal resistors and covers, i.e. money. The 2T20 cable has the terimal resisitors built into the cable so that makes it a plug and play. The 2T20 cable also have a few extra connectors on the gauge end so that you can daisy chain more gauges if you care to. In our boats I felt that there isn't room to put others in.

The monitor gives a bunch of reading and your 250 is newer and may give more than my engine does, but yes it will give you hours, engine, water temp, gph, batt voltage. Since the engines are 2-stroke you won't get oil press, sea water temp requires the speedo and speedo cable just to name a few. You can tell the monitor which ones you want to see you just can't change the order in which you scoll through.

I started with a hole saw and then I used my spiral saw to shape the hole as I needed. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive set of hole saws. I first had my depth gauge there so I made the hole before I got the monitor. The front plate covers the hole well.

The engine foam, man I hated that stuff and everytime I open the box I am happy I made that change. I will have to look at the back of mine. Take a picture of the back of your new one and we may be able to help. My speedo is a quick connect, just can't remember how many pins.

Let me know if this helps.

Eddie

Big help again Ediie!
The Speedo is fine, the back connector is the same as the boat wiring with plenty of length. Worked out nicely. If you go thru seadoo parts, the speedo is much more expensive & I couldn't find any Faria (orig mfgr) speedos.
This weekend should be nice weather & I should get everything done except thw cable. That insight about the J-box makes more sense now & I am glad I'm on the right track.
My head is gonna explode waiting for summer, didnt get the boat till ~ August, still got the itch.

Hey AirSniper! Quick question, I have a 04 Utopia 185, and my speedo is shot. I was looking at Greatlakes Skipper and there's pages of speedo's. If you don't mind me asking what model or PN# did you get to replace the stock gauge, and did it plug right in without modification? for the price of those gauges I think I would try that before dropping the $450 for the sea doo gauge.

Thanks!

IMG_2056.jpgIMG_2057.jpgIMG_2083.jpgIMG_2084.jpgIMG_2085.jpg
heres some pics...old had wires to connect, the boat had a connector & wire harness to the speedo - toss the harness, fit right in. a little tight, make sure you secure the wiring to prevent it from pulling off the new speedo.
Got it from great lakes skipper for $79

Qty. Item Description Price
1 Sea Doo Jet Boat Speedometer
Part # 1007477

That's great thanks very much! I'm ordering mine today. They also have a fuel gauge that I'm gonna pickup. Mine's a little sticky ( These gauges are for 01-02 Utopia's and our gauges are for 03-04 and about 6X the price! ;) I wanted to make sure they worked.I was looking at a few of your other projects and am going to undertake them all this winter! ;) Loving the utopia!

Hey Eddie, AirSniper:

I've been looking at doing this mod as well on my 04 Utopia. It has a Mercury JET - 200DFI, Model No: S200J20AS. I noticed both of you guys have different engines. Can I use a Smartcraft monitor on a 200DFI? The mod looks great and just wanted to make sure that it would work with my engine!

Thanks guys!

Hey Eddie, AirSniper:

I've been looking at doing this mod as well on my 04 Utopia. It has a Mercury JET - 200DFI, Model No: S200J20AS. I noticed both of you guys have different engines. Can I use a Smartcraft monitor on a 200DFI? The mod looks great and just wanted to make sure that it would work with my engine!

Thanks guys!

Your 2004 Utopia 185 has the 200DFI which should be the optimax engine, given that, the smartcraft monitor will work. There are guys on the forum with gauges on the 185, check this link go about 3/4 a way down the page.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?43550-Opinions-on-the-Mercury-M2-250-OptiMax-and-240-EFI-for-2001-Challenger-2000&p=197441&highlight=smartcraft#post197441

Also check the top of this page and follow the steps to find the connector wires.

You should be good to go. Remember all the literature makes it seems impossible, but is it a straight plug and play once you realize you do not HAVE to have the junction boxes and different cable, just one cable with terminal resistors on both ends (84-879982T20). For this cable the #2 before the "T" means it has 2 resistors, the 20 after the "T" tells you that it is 20ft long.

I loved the info it gave me.

Eddie

Have a 2002 Utopia 205 with a Mercury 240 EFI. Do you know if it will work on this model/engine?

Have a 2002 Utopia 205 with a Mercury 240 EFI. Do you know if it will work on this model/engine?

I don't know for sure, some people have had the 2002 engines and it has worked. First step would be to look at the engine and see if it has the black on the outside, purple on the inside connector on the starboard side of the engine, (take a look a the pics at the beginning. You can also call Mercury with your S/N and they will tell you if it will work or not.

Sort of.

I'll assume you have the "Early" 240 EFI like I do. (post a picture or the serial number of your engine) It will work with it's basic functions... but all the "Cool" features will not work.

To Racereddie also, thanks for the reply.

"Sort of."
Yea, figured so, here is the serial # on the engine;
Ser# 0E406221 2001 240M2

Will send a picture if you need that also.

jr .

View attachment 16480View attachment 16481View attachment 16482View attachment 16483View attachment 16484
heres some pics...old had wires to connect, the boat had a connector & wire harness to the speedo - toss the harness, fit right in. a little tight, make sure you secure the wiring to prevent it from pulling off the new speedo.
Got it from great lakes skipper for $79

Qty. Item Description Price
1 Sea Doo Jet Boat Speedometer
Part # 1007477
How about a mounting ring. How did you mount with old style mount that uses the 2 post.

Back