SmartCraft/ MercMonitor?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbob911

I was thinking of replacing the Speedo with a MercMonitor digital gauge (I think it would use the exact same hole). I have a 2004 Optimax Islandia that should be new enough.

I was talking to my Merc dealer about it and they were pretty sure it's not possible - That Seadoo modified the SmartCraft interface on these engines and it's not compatible anymore.

Can anyone confirm if this is accurate, or has anyone had success with putting a SmartCraft gauge on a Merc Seadoo? (2002 or newer)

Yep, definitely have a 10- pin purple CAN connector. It's on the starboard side and hard to access because of the white bench under the hood, but it's there.

Also called and confirmed with Mercury that my serial # Optimax will work.

Great question. Ultimately I decided not to proceed with the MercMonitor, mainly because every solution to integrate a GPS (either over NMEA 2000 or SmartCraft bus) was wildly expensive for my tastes.

Instead I bought a VesselView Mobile which is a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the CAN bus, and uses your smartphone GPS. This solution is only a couple hundred bucks and works flawlessly. I had to buy an extra CAN bus terminator but that’s cheap.

Hey Bobbob,

Could you elaborate on the CAN bus terminator? Was this a Mercury part? Will it be straight forward for a competent dealer ton understand what it is and that I need it.?

Looking at this option too for my ‘04 Utopia so I can see the error codes and not have to guess on lights and beeps.

Thanks,
MK

It’s a completely standard part, the only confusion may be if the dealer doesn’t understand why you don’t already have one. I guess the early CAN bus years they only shipped a dust cap.

My 05 has one but if you need one they are easy to find online and I think the kit I looked at on Amazon had one included.

My 05 has one but if you need one they are easy to find online and I think the kit I looked at on Amazon had one included.

Oh so perhaps I am not understanding what it is. Some have them installed already?

Anyone got a pic or a link? I’m not with the boat, but vaguely recall the end of the connector at the motor. Hopefully I can determine if I already have it or not.

Worst case I can buy it and hopefully return if not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back