Ski Clean Up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I just wanted to share this. I clean up a lot of skis that are really filthy. They sit in my pile till I am ready to begin the restoration. This particulart 1998 GTX had a coat of dirt on it when I got it 2 years ago but the color underneath looked really good so I didn't clean it and hoped the dirt would form a barrier to deterioration. Of course it got uglier and dirtier. :D I took this baby to the carwash as usual and it was still very bad even after much scrubbing. I figured a good effort with rubbing compound would be needed to get it cleaned up. I pulled out this here product which smells of sulfuric acid "Star-Brite Boat Hull Cleaner" When I sprayed it on it started smoking I backed the hell off trying to figure it all out. I came back a few minutes later with "Magic Eraser" and all the funk just wiped off including the brown stains you get in the foot wells. So, I thought I'd share with everyone that has a funky ski they are trying to clean up. :) Here are some pictures and a picture of the product. I didn't get the gel just the cheaper regular stuff. I'm including a before picture for some perspective. Touchdowns everyone !!

Gold GTX RFI Dirty (1).JPEG

These are at the local car wash and that rust discoloration wasn't hardly affected at all by the engine cleaner degreaser

Gold RFI 1998 Car Wash (2) -crop.jpg

This is after the magic "elixir" and "Magic Eraser." I really like "Magic Eraser" but the pads sure don't hold together like the used to.

Gold RFI 1998 Clean Hull (7).JPEG

Gold RFI 1998 Clean Hull (5).JPEG

And HERE is the product. "NOTE" I didn't put this stuff on the stickers or the hood and I didn't breath the vapors. You'll definitely need rubber gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Good Luck !!

Hull Cleaner Star Brite (1).JPEG

That stuff is mean. I like how the lable says, "No Phosphates" :D :D To me that gives the implication that it is safe and gentle. LOL

That stuff is mean. I like how the lable says, "No Phosphates" :D :D To me that gives the implication that it is safe and gentle. LOL
It's not meant to imply any such thing. Phosphates feed (fertilize) algae and as a result destabilize aquatic ecosystems - that's why they were removed from household (dish and clothes) detergents many years ago, not because of human safety concerns. So obviously it's not something you'd want residue of on a boat.

I just wanted to share this. I clean up a lot of skis that are really filthy. They sit in my pile till I am ready to begin the restoration. This particulart 1998 GTX had a coat of dirt on it when I got it 2 years ago but the color underneath looked really good so I didn't clean it and hoped the dirt would form a barrier to deterioration. Of course it got uglier and dirtier. :D I took this baby to the carwash as usual and it was still very bad even after much scrubbing. I figured a good effort with rubbing compound would be needed to get it cleaned up. I pulled out this here product which smells of sulfuric acid "Star-Brite Boat Hull Cleaner" When I sprayed it on it started smoking I backed the hell off trying to figure it all out. I came back a few minutes later with "Magic Eraser" and all the funk just wiped off including the brown stains you get in the foot wells. So, I thought I'd share with everyone that has a funky ski they are trying to clean up. :) Here are some pictures and a picture of the product. I didn't get the gel just the cheaper regular stuff. I'm including a before picture for some perspective. Touchdowns everyone !!

View attachment 60435

These are at the local car wash and that rust discoloration wasn't hardly affected at all by the engine cleaner degreaser

View attachment 60440

This is after the magic "elixir" and "Magic Eraser." I really like "Magic Eraser" but the pads sure don't hold together like the used to.

View attachment 60441

View attachment 60442

And HERE is the product. "NOTE" I didn't put this stuff on the stickers or the hood and I didn't breath the vapors. You'll definitely need rubber gloves and a long sleeve shirt. Good Luck !!

View attachment 60443
How rewarding! Amazing difference

The reason for the smell, & the CORROSIVE warning in the label is the product contains hydrochloric acid, along with a bit of oxalic acid.
It does work wonders, BUT, don’t leave the product on your gelcote for extended periods, thinking “more is better”.
Looking at the online prices, essentially the same product can be had for a fraction of the price. Go to a janitorial supply company. I purchase 1litre bottles of a product named Brilliant Bowl, though any toilet bowl cleaner containing hydrochloric/oxalis acid will do the same.
here is the MSD sheet for Stsrbrite, you can read the facts in what it contains.
https://www.venismarine.com/userfiles/product_files_shared/Star Brite/Star_brite_Boat_Bottom_Cleaner_92232-92200_MSDS.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back