Simple question (plastic rivets)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjilafouine

" Remove the two plastic rivets and the rubber tie securing the battery access"

I want to remove the battery panel on a GTI 90 2018 to have access the battery. How to I remove the plastic rivets? Just pull on them gently? They look like automotive push pins pins that often break when you pull them out. I see they come in two parts. Should I pull only the middle part?

Thanks.
IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Found it. They are standard rivets after all. It's just that I don't have the puller. I took cutters and went very gently...

Edit: the panels were not installed properly at the dealer last year when I bought it and also when they disconnected the battery for me last fall, they were still loose. They were holding on only by these two rivets. They are supposed to be inserted in the frame, then put the rivets on. I had noticed it last year but never took the time to remove the panel and secure it properly. Will do that this year. Quality control was not very great on my new ski last year: poorly clipped mirror, cracked paint on the large compartment cover and decals ripped (and someone tried to hide with a piece of black automotive tape). Fortunately the dealer fixed it all (they replace the cover and decals and fixed the mirror).

Last edited:
I typically leave those types of covers temporarily lose off-season to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on the delicate fasteners knowing the battery will need reconnecting come spring. Unless there's some chance parts may be lost. That said, they shouldn't try hiding flaws IMO.

I know, it looks kind of fragile. My GTI 2003 seems more solid! Less cheap plastic. But if that’s what it takes to cut weight and go faster...

Correct tool's 2 bucks @ Harbor Freight. Works as well twice yearly as SnapOn. And why even put em back in the fall?

Yeah I saw that tool on the web yesterday. Actually, I had never opened this cover before. Last year when I brought my ski to the dealer for fixing all the issues mentioned above, they winterized it for me. I guess they put them back on so I don't lose them. Yesterday I charged the battery and the panel was in the way. This ski is new to me: bought it brand new in the middle of the summer last year. This year I am looking to do the winterizing by myself. I have a part-time neighbor who's a mechanics and he showed it to me on his own ski last year. I already have an air compressor so I guess I am just missing a few tools (like a cylinder attached to the compressor and probably the tool to open the oil filter cover).

Next time I pass near the automotive store I'll pick the tool for the rivets. I was used to the kind that you can unscrew, then pull. This is why I was afraid to break them (I must have some new ones somewhere in my garage but the screwing kind).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back