Should I hydro turf the inside of my speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

boggs

Hey guys I was wondering if it is worth it to hydro turf the boat? I think it makes it look real good and im thinking a bit safer. Is it something you are glad you did? Also was it easy installing it and taking the old stuff off?

I bought my Hydro Turf last week and just waiting for it to get here. Removing the old stuff was not hard at all.I used the wifey hair dryer and heated it up and then pilled it off. Them I sprayed wd40 on it and scrubbed. On the tough spots I used goo gone and worked awesome. Just be prepared to ice the elbow down afterwards! Lol I hope its worth it.....

go for it,nice and cheap upgrade for your boat,just choose a nice color that will complement with your boats color.

Without a doubt. It's a little expensive, but it makes the boat look so nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the hardest stuff to remove was the stuff that had been on long enough to be baked into the gel-coat's traction surface. That required "physical" means of removal (scraper) and lots of chemicals.

But once I got it cleaned and put down the turf, there were absolutely no regrets.

I have since sold the challenger, and purchased an i/o and hydroturfed the entire boat and trailer. I just bought 3 sheets of turf, and used the old carpets as a design template. For the other areas, I just made templates out of heavy construction paper and transferred it to the turf.

Obligatory pics attached!!!

170.jpg

19.jpg

attachment.php

finishedturf.jpg

Ive spent probably $3000 on mods to my boat, and the hydroturf is by far the best one of them. It is worth every penny. It really enhances the appearance. It makes the boat a lot more comfortable on the feet. It doesn't get hot and cleans up very well. It is money well spent.

To get the old stuff off, heat it up. I bought a heat gun from harbor freight for $15, but i use it on lots of projects. You can use a hair dryer. Heat the old stuff up and use a plastic scraper to peel it off. After you get it all off, buy some goo gone. Spray it on and let it sit 5 minutes. Then the glue will wipe off. That is the worst part, i went through a entire roll of the blue shop type paper towels. It takes a while, but that method works. Then clean the area with rubbing alcohol.

To put the new stuff on, make sure you lay it all out before you start to get an idea where they go. Peel back just an edge of the piece and stick it down and line it up the way you want. Then peel back the backing as you press down. The adhesive is pressure sensitive, so the more weight you put down, the better it sticks. I used various stuff from around the garage to weigh the pieces down. Let it sit a few hours and then you are done. Its been on 3 years now and still looks new.

257.jpg

106.jpg

IMO turf is a good investment, makes moving around the boat easier gives a nice clean look, I got lucky and found mine on ebay pretty reasonable I think $140 shipped off a guy that sold his boat b4 installing the kit.
now personally I only installed half the kit, I thought the whole kit was a bit of overkill. (too much black)

HydroTurf Pics thread ...

98' Speedster Black Hydro Turf.

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

04' Sportster - Black HydroTurf

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

O.K. all those boats look great!! I got to get some for sure!! What color should i get? My wife want the gray, I think I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be my vote also. IF you call them, they can send you samples in the color and textures of your choice. That helped me decide.

I know it seems expensive but DEFINITELY get the 3M adhesive backing. I tried a ski with the canned stuff, and it was impossible to make it clean.

3M...lift one small corner of the adhesive waxed paper, position the pad where you want it, then press down on that exposed corner. THen peel the rest of the backing off a couple inches at a time as you press the pad down, and VOILA!!! Perfecto!

Just to add to Scoopers tips ... I steal the wifeys rolling pin, you know the tool chicks use when they make pizza dough and stuff LoLs. It makes for a great tool to evenly apply pressue to the turf when your installing it.

Just to add to Scoopers tips ... I steal the wifeys rolling pin, you know the tool chicks use when they make pizza dough and stuff LoLs. It makes for a great tool to evenly apply pressue to the turf when your installing it.

"Chicks"??? Easter was last week LOL :)

Rolling pin is a good idea. I just invited the wife onto the boat and we danced, making sure we applied pressure to all surfaces of the turf.

The neighbors still won't make eye contact with us:reddevil:

Don't forget your discount of 15% at PWCMuscle.com :cheers:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the discount only works toward pre-cut kits. I don't think it applies to the full sheets.

But they have kits for the seadoos, not the Glastrons...:rant:

Use the contact for on PWCMuscle.com. The discount can be applied to sheets too.

I didn't have a rolling pin, so I used a rollerblade skate instead. Seemed to do the trick pretty nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back