96 Challenger Oil pump shaft loose

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

This may be a real stupid question, and if so I'm sorry. So I'm at the final stage of getting this beast ready to let loose on Candlewood lake. I've just finished cleaning the carbs and replacing the gaskets with OEM ones. When I was about to install them I noticed that there was an air bubble still in the PTO oil line. I popped the oil pump off to do the reverse drill "trick" to get the oil up to the intake.

When I was about to reinstall the pump, I felt the oil pump shaft and it seems loose in the hole of the magneto. That didn't seem right to me. So I took a flat head screw driver and inserted it into the slot to ensure the shaft would not turn. I wanted to make sure the shaft was locked in place. But, since I really don't know the inner workings of the Magneto I didn't expect the shaft to turn freely.

Is the oil pump shaft suppsed to turn freely or is it suppsed to be locked in place at the other end? Once I can get clarification I'll reassemble everything and fire it up. I may also pull the magneto coer tomorrow.

Not sure. Sorry for being so ignorant.

Part: 420837392
Diagram: 1996 Sea-Doo Challenger, 5896 Magneto And Oil Pump | Fox Powersports Sea-Doo Partshouse

Last edited:
Ok, this is the end of the crank shaft. It seems that the oil pump shaft interfaces with this square hole, and, since i can turn the shaft freely, this is a big problem! Any ideas on what could have caused the oil pump shaft to either strip or break? I'm going to pull the cover tomorrow. :/

I'm not giving up people. I will have her on the water!

Attachments

• Shaft End.png
    Shaft End.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
After some research it appears that there was an update to the part Seadoo used. The new part is black and would fit to the flywheel nut. The part I have appears to be black. Since I can turn it I’m guessing either the tabs are broken off or the bolt is loose.

This is getting crazy. I’ve read that in order to get the cover off you need to lift the engine. My hoist is at a different house and I’d prefer not to get it unless absolutely necessary.

Is the part supposed to turn or should it be locked in place? Any suggestions on removing the cover from a 96 challenger 787?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back