Setting timing, checking spark plugs - carb converted 240 M2 Islandia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tupperwolf

Good morning all,
I recently picked up a 2000 Islandia with engine S/N OE376756. For whatever reason the engine was converted to premix and carburetors and, generally, runs very well. I know this sounds like a nightmare scenario that most people wouldn't want to touch, but I had the chance to test drive the boat before buying and the engine looked very clean and I decided that the conversion likely took care of a lot of problems these engines have with sensors, etc so in the end it might be more simple to work on. There was some language barrier involved in my purchase so I don't have all the answers about the work that was performed (I live in Puerto Rico and speak some spanish but not at a technical level).

My first day out on flat, smooth water I found it would top out around ~5300 RPM and around 32mph on the "dream-o-meter". I know I should expect to see 6000 RPM and 40mph so I'd like to reach for that. If I can't get it there, fine, but I'd at least like to verify the timing and carb jetting. The spark plugs are brand new and haven't really loaded up with any color so I don't know whether it's rich or lean. When I pulled them they looked wet with fuel, but my wife had been idling the boat around for ages before we got it back on the trailer and home, so I can't really rely on that for diagnosis purposes.

Can someone please provide me basic instructions on checking and setting the engine timing? Thank you!!
-Steve

Well I got a pdf copy of the service manual from ebay for a few bucks. Sort of shocked that I wasn't able to find it anywhere online for free. Maybe Mercury takes their copyright seriously. Anyhow, the boat is off having some fiberglass repair done so maybe at some point in the future I'll get a chance to check the timing using the manual procedure.

The OEM carb engine is basically the same block & internals as the EFI engine . However, the carb engine is 30 hp short of the efi engine. That could account for some of your rpm loss.

You will need a dial travel indicator and adapters to screw into cyl. #1. I was told by a Merc dealer, that there is an electronic box that plugs into the system to "lock" the timing while it is being set.

Thanks. I guess I expected a carb'd motor to still be able to sing along at the same peak HP as EFI, which I know manufacturers go to out of the demand of tightening emissions regulations. I won't have a chance to do any testing and tuning for a while, so I'll probably just enjoy it as-is. I wonder if the person who did the conversion just pulled all the parts off of a carb motor and swapped them on. If all of the engine internals of the carb and EFI engines are the same, it gives me some confidence. The service manual shows all of the differences, and some things I can check - and it does say that the 210hp carb engine WOT RPM is meant to be 5250-5750 RPM.

Well, good news is that I've finally had a chance to get the boat back out after the hull was repaired. The engine happily turned 5500 RPM and sat nicely at 40mph. I felt really good about the way it performed so we're going to just use it as is!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back