Service after first 20 hours???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

siliev

So I was signing papers for my new SeaDoo Spark this past Saturday at the dealer and they told me that I will need to get service after the first 20 hours of riding the Spark. Apparently for them to "check that everything is within spec after the break in period." They even gave me a quote that it will cost something like $270 and would take 3 hours to do. Well I read through most of the owners manual, including the break-in section and the maintenance schedule and did not see anything about 20 hour service. There was a column for the first 50 hours but I don't remember that even including an oil change, just inspecting and cleaning certain parts here and there.

I am pretty sure they are just trying to steal my money but just wanted to hear what you guys have to say. I actually thought about it while I was signing the papers that it might be good to have the dealer do an inspection to make sure everything is good after the break in but now I really think its just a scam for money. I mean, considering the cost of the jet ski itself, it's equivalent to a car dealer saying that they need to perform a non-warranty covered service after the first 3,000 miles which would cost $1000!

Anyone else hear something like this from their dealer?

I agree we were told that too and I think it's a scam. I would like to know what all is done after that 20 hours.

I imagine you just take your jet ski to the dealer and pay them $270 to take it into the shop and go for a coffee break for the next three hours.

My 10 hour was free and all they did was check the coolant and oil level. They said it normally is $199 for the 10 hr service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 10 hour was free and all they did was check the coolant and oil level. They said it normally is $199 for the 10 hr service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.. So it is nornally $200 to check your coolant and oil level... I would do that myself

My original literature states the 10 hr check is "imperative" as the service department with the-check the head bolts, pump condition, miscellaneous bolts and hardware, impeller and motor mounts. Bought these new in Michigan, live in Ohio. Asked my OH dealer about this and they politely said no way. They would do it but it would be 300 to 350 for the service.

So I allowed for an oil change at 10 hrs to remove the mated metal and that was that.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

I mean, if it was actually written in the owners manual that an inspection is necessary a short time after break-in, although I think that should even be covered by warranty, I would do it. But just because the dealer says so, no thanks.

I took my Spark into the dealer to have them install the reverse kit. Because I live a long way from my dealer I figured I would ask them to do a service as well. They said 'No, that would just be taking your money, we aren't going to do that. We will check things over when we take the top off but there is no need for a service until the end of the first year or 100 hours, whichever comes first'.

I like my dealer.

I took my Spark into the dealer to have them install the reverse kit. Because I live a long way from my dealer I figured I would ask them to do a service as well. They said 'No, that would just be taking your money, we aren't going to do that. We will check things over when we take the top off but there is no need for a service until the end of the first year or 100 hours, whichever comes first'.

I like my dealer.

My dealer told me the same thing. He did say that if I wanted a 10 hour inspection they would do it, but not needed. He said that he would recommend doing it at the end of the season. Which I agree as the ski's will be stored in a garage for the winter, but it is not heated.

I like my dealer.
I'm glad to hear there are some honest dealers out there. And this one would have earned my trust and loyalty too.

Actually I think you should make the call to BRP and report what these specific dealers are telling you and tell them what you think about such a practice!!! No E-Mails -Call them and complain.

Same thing here. I bought 2 new sparks and my dealership told me to do a check myself the first 50 hours then do a maintenance the first 100 hours.

As long as you keep up with it yourself no worries. Many owners dont.

Back