Seriously considering a Speedster, could use some advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Malito

Good morning, everyone and welcome to my first post here!

There are a couple of late 90s Speedsters in my area that are going for a reasonable price. Looks like one could use some detailing and upholstery, the other one has one engine that is locked up. Both are very inexpensive. I’ve always liked the looks of these boats, and need something relatively small as my tow vehicle is a short wheelbase Jeep. While I would prefer for stroke engines as I am intimately familiar with that set up, I’m sure I can learn two stroke if I have to for 1/6th of the price. I would like to get some pointers as to what to look at on these boats to make sure I don’t take over someone else’s money pit, and what I can do to make sure the 720 engines last me a good long time.

I realize that I could be looking at anything from a starter solenoid to a complete engine on the boat with the engine that refuses to start, and for the price I’d be OK with dropping another engine in it. I think I would like to avoid dual carb set up’s, and am aware that there was a year that switched from dual carbs to single carb. If someone could clue me into that year, I would appreciate that. Likewise, if there are any years that I should be avoiding, insight into that would be appreciated also.

Links to any prior threads on this topic are welcome, a personal response would be appreciated. Thank you, and best wishes for a great day!

As long as you are mechanically inclined (can do repairs yourself) and can afford a potential engine replacement AND maintenance (I made several repairs to my '97 speedster during my 2 years of ownership, including carbon seals, wear rings, a driveshaft and a new DESS lanyard) then I say go for it. They are super fun toys. Like a jet ski but you can fit 4-5 people in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back