Seadoo xp runs great on trailer, cranks in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elster

Hi guys,

My name is Elster,

I am completely new to this forum and after almost 200 hundred hours of work I hope you guys can help me.
It is about a Seadoo xp 587 from 1992.
The ski is running really great on the trailer with a hose on it. But once we put it in the water it only cranks and sometimes it starts 1 sec.
Also if we start the engine out of the water and put in it quickly in the water, it dies.
It feels like the ski can’t handle load. After 200 hours we are so desperate. But we won’t give up

Here are important specifications:
compression 145 psi on both cylinders
replaced rectifier
rebuild carbs, pop off is fine
replaced rotary valve
clearance plate to valve is good.
new starter
good battery
new fuel lines
runs great on land
new fuel filter
few fuel pick up thing (in tank)

I hope I gave enough information and you would like to help me.

Greets Elster

Last edited:
2800 seems good for idle, if I'm not mistaken the max RPM for XP is around 6500., 5000 seems low. Did you use OEM rebuild kit for carb? Also, I would verify you have a good strong spark. Another thing to check is your voltage, is it charging correctly.

Yeah, i already thought that 5000 is low, but forgot to mention. I did not use a OEM rebuild kit, is that necessary?
the spark is good and strong, thank you for your reaction btw.

I cant really tell from the website you gave, but my instinct is that is is not an OEM kit. Did the package it came in have the Mikuni logo? The price seems way too low, we are paying around $70 per carb for an OEM kit. Reason I say this, these carbs are very particular about what rebuild kits is used , most people have some of the same issue you are having using aftermarket kits. It is just a thought.

Are you loosing spark?are both cyl firing?it sounds to me that it's running on one cyl and when it is under a load it stalls.put a spark tester on it and try it.to you have good vacuum on each carb to make sure it can pull fuel.is the exhaust clogged with a mouse nest.

Thank you I am going to check it.
But first:

Since yesterday I know that I am a silly rookie.
because I always started the ski with a waterhose.
Unfortunately I didnt know that you always fire up the ski before you give it water.
Super stupid of me. I read it yesterday by luck.
Is it possible that this is the problem?
And what’s the best to do now? Because there is water in the engine now right.

Pull plugs out ground the plugs.turn engine over to pump water out.spin for 20 seconds.let starter cool while cooling wipe up water erc.keep fuel valve off also.repeat till no water comes out.take off air box cover blow air into carbs turn motor over.then blow out spark plug holes.turn on fuel put plugs in and repeat till she runs.after you get it running fog it till there is no chance of mosquitoes living in a 2 mile radius then fog some more.that way there the motor wo t rust

It's a problem but it's not the problem of why it runs on trailer then won't start in the water.unless it's been hydro locked the whole time

I also would like to test new spark plugs. I only have b8es in stock. Could this damage some electri parts in the ski?
if not I will test for a few minutes

This is how it runs now it bogs al lot more since I rebuild the carbs again.
If you listen very good you can hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back