SeaDoo Won't Start- Whirring Noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda84

I have a 1995 SPI I ride her on the weekends. I've only had it about two months and when I go to start it there's a whirring noise coming from the little white box. I charged the battery and tried again. Same thing. Any ideas?

That's what I was hoping it wasn't. How hard is that to fix? I looked up the bendix and I can get it for $17 on amazon.

Sometimes the Bendix will rust or stick on the starter shaft. You will have to remove the starter to replace the Bendix anyway. I would remove and check before ordering Bendix.

Thank you. Do I have to pull the motor to get to the starter and bendix? Any advice on the easiest way to do that? I've never worked on boats or jet ski's though I am slightly mechanically inclined with vehicles.

Not familiar with this model. I’m guessing that the starter is under the exhaust pipe. Long extensions, possibly hex bit sockets if the starter is retained by allen head bolts.... socket cap bolts whatever you want to call them .

Last edited:
Thank you. I am gonna give it a go. To have a professional do it I'd end up paying more than I paid for the jet ski. I have all the tools so I should be okay.

Its very difficult to change in the boat. I have done it once before but there is at least one bolt under the starter that is a nightmare to get to. I used a couple socket elbows to get a ratchet at it. Dont drop anything under the engine! Good luck!

If you buy a $17 bendix or a $49.99 starter you are going to get what you pay for so plan on doing it again very soon.

Where should i get the bendix? Are there better brands? I just though it was an inexpensive part. (The starter I found was $279.99)

The bendix is part of the starter
Are you sure your bendix is bad?
If you want to replace the starter you could get a good used starter from Nick or Jess at Westside Seadoo Parts and have them put new brushes in it.
I would verify yours is bad first.

When I get it apart how do I know whether it's the starter or the bendix? I'll google them and their number. That may be the best idea.

Turn the bendix with your hand. It should slip in one direction like a clutch and the other direction it should extend out to the end of the shaft. It should be easy and smooth.

That's what I was hoping it wasn't. How hard is that to fix? I looked up the bendix and I can get it for $17 on amazon.
I ma doing that job now on a sportster, had to pull engine. only took couple hours to pull, you need a gear puller to remove flywheel.

That SPI will have the 587 engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he shouldn't need to pull the flywheel to remove the starter, should he?

Paddler is right, In no way in the world should you have to remove the fly wheel, to remove the starter. First remove the ground cable from the battery( that is attached to the starter) . Next, remove the strap that holds the water box, and then loosen the clamp that secures the half pipe. That will allow you to split the exhaust pipe. Remember, or Index, the orientation of the half pipe to its upper half. ( usually there are built in notches for that) . Removing the half pipe is extra time, but it will be worth it in the end, allowing you easier and closer access to the 2 securing bolts that hold the starter, just take pics as you go. A 12 inch 3/8 inch extension will be a must, a mirror, monkey arms, and a lot of patience will be helpful, and maybe a couple beers and some loud music.

Thank you. I had already planned on it being a case of beer lol. Maybe should do less than a case though. I keep putting off picking her up b/c its gonna be a pain bc its docked in front of my boat and the seadoo doesn't run, I'm gonna have to drag it around with the boat to the ramp (eye roll). I appreciate all information though bc it seems like its gonna be a beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back