Seadoo with hole in the hull looking repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanemccudden

Hi,

I have a SEA DOO with a black hull with some damage I am trying to restore. It was caused as you can see by the rubber on the front of the trailer missing, and a bolt been exposed touching against the hull. Was debating just painting with standard paint or should I use black ultra strong gelcoat? Would that increase the strength?. Also can this be applied via a spray gun or what would you advise.

The hull itself has a hole in it (Pic Attached ). Its not completely through the hull but not far away but there is enough fibre left to build upon. My body man thinks the best course of action is to fill this with (green) pre mix fibreglass that you ad the filler to. Will this be strong enough and not crack etc?

Any expert advise for the matter .... Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 102
That is not really a major structural area. I think your body man's idea will work. I would grind out all the damaged area, then use a fiberglass mat/polyester resin or paste with glass fibers to fill it. Then smooth it off. Then fill with a marine polyester based body filler like "bondo" and the top coat with a black gel cote. Since that are will rub on the trailer, I would not paint it. I would use black gel cote as the top coat.

Wow.
I've repaired a lot of fiberglass over the years but nothing to that extent. The damaged area is quite large, and all the crazing and cracking in the surrounding gel coat is indicative of the extent of the damaged area.
The good news is, it can definitely be repaired but MAY be beyond something you want to take on yourself. My personal opinion is that the 'glass itself is no longer strong enough to do the simple fix you described. A lot depends on what sort of access you have to this from the inside. IF you can get to it at all, your repair will be simpler, because you could lay up some really heavy mat as a backing, tying it in over a large area of unaffected hull. Then you can essentially carefully remove the damaged gel coat and fiberglass from the outside. Not an easy task but nothing too monumental, either. The key is to really understanding how much hidden damage you may have and getting ALL of that removed and rebuilt during the repair.

Frankly, I would simply have a shop that specializes in this do the work. The gel coat repair is the tricky part, due to the extent of the damage.

I'm sure there are other Forum members who've seen this sort of damage or worse and hopefully they'll chime in with their advice.

Good luck!

Since you have two threads on the same subject, I am deleting the other thread.

Lou

I'm not sure what type of ski that is I would find a new hull if any water ever got inside the hole then the foam in between the inner and outer hull is probably water logged making it junk

I was just going to comment on the inner and outer hull. To fix that the gas tank would have to come out then the inner hull would need to have a section cut out to put fiberglass on the inside of the outer hull. Then the foam would have to be replaced in the area you cut and then the inner hull hole would need to be patched. Very doable but alot of work. You would also know if the foam between the layers is water logged.

I was looking for a better picture of the hulls ive demolished to show the inner and outer hull. This one is the best I have.

You can see in the cracks in the middle of the hull the foam between the layers. In the front you can see it too.

On the edge of where the gas tank sits you can see it the best. The fiberglass layers are different too

That guy in the video is an idiot and this is the wrong way to fix it. However, he isn't that far off. I've repaired huge holes in skis and boats(larger than the video) using the West Epoxy System. It ends up being stronger and bonds better than the original fiberglass. Here's an overview of their video. They have lots of detailed videos that show how to do it in great detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXZObV7uKg#t=40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back