SeaDoo Utopia 185 - starting and idle issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattard

I have a 2001 SeaDoo Utopia 185 powered by a Merc 210. I've had it for just over a year now.

The boat runs great for the most part.

When it's been sitting for about a week, it struggles to start. Turns over but doesn't catch until to you try it about 8 times. Could this be a battery issue?

Also, I'm wondering if the idle is too low. Since you can't throttle the motor when in neutral, I struggle keeping it going sometimes when I first start it, or when I'm idling in the lake waiting for a skier to get ready. Should I be increasing the idle speed? And if so, is this something that's easy for me to find and do myself?

Thanks for you help.

Mark.

I can't help on the idle speed since you didn't say where it's at now. But... if it's low... it can be the cause of all the problems listed.

Also... when's the last time you put fresh spark plugs in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'll check the idle speed and let you know. As for the plugs, I'm not sure. I bought the boat a year ago, no idea when they were last changed. Excuse this basic question....but does it only have 2 plugs, or 4? And, I'm assuming that this is a simple thing for me to do myself once I purchase two new ones?

Thanks. I'll check the idle speed and let you know. As for the plugs, I'm not sure. I bought the boat a year ago, no idea when they were last changed. Excuse this basic question....but does it only have 2 plugs, or 4? And, I'm assuming that this is a simple thing for me to do myself once I purchase two new ones?

Now before you go crazy trying to find them and paying $7.00 to $16.00 for one plug here is a link that when you order 6 they will end up costing about $5.98 per plug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUZ8H-NGK-s..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item563a61b77b&vxp=mtr

Also these plugs are surface gap plugs so they will not look like other plugs you may have seen. They will look like this.Surface Gap Plug1.jpg. This also means that you will not have to gap them. So look for three of them on the port side and three of them on the starboard side on the back side of the engine once you open up the the engine cover. This is a picture of a 240hp but the plugs are in the same place.
Engine.jpg

Eddie

Thanks for the help, all. I'll tackle this next weekend. Can anyone help me with the idle speed. It currently idles between 8 and 10, and often stalls when idling. What's the ideal idle speed? and where/how to I adjust it?

Mark.

Thanks for the help, all. I'll tackle this next weekend. Can anyone help me with the idle speed. It currently idles between 8 and 10, and often stalls when idling. What's the ideal idle speed? and where/how to I adjust it?

Mark.

Changing the plugs has a good chance of correcting your idle speed. If you adjust it now and then replace the plugs you will be adjusting it down once you get new plugs in.

Hello All, anybody have any information in regards to the above. I am having similar problem. Bought the boat a month ago changed battery, plugs, oil, gear oil. Just not sure how to adjust idle. Took it out Monday and had to crank it5 or 6 times. I usually alternate between choke and no choke. Since changing the battery and plugs it usually starts on second or third crank. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Start your own thread. This thread is over6 years old, an the original poster hasn't been here in almost that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back