Seadoo Spx 657cc 1995 Oil injector

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith1120

I have a spx 657cc with a fuel injector that is untrustworthy, can I just leave it to run out of oil or is there a safety switch that will kill my seadoo involved, if so how do I plug it off?

So I also assume, that you meant oil injector. I don't understand that you say it is untrustworthy? The pump is working, ( no seizures), or an oil line is cracked and leaking, which can also cause a seizure. Of course, you can just remove that oil pump, block off the oil lines, and run premix.

Yeah guys I’m sorry I said fuel injector lol... I meant oil injector. My oil injector probably does work but I don’t want to chance having it stop one day and then blowing up my engine... if the oil injector totally ran out of oil would it cause my seadoo to shut down, like I meant a safety switch or something.... it’s runnimg pretty low now but I don’t wanna get in the middle of the lake or something and have the thing stall

If it runs out of oil, your engine will be toast if it’s not getting lubrication. Usually there is a low oil light for when the tank starts to get low...but there’s not a mechanism to stop the motor if it senses the oil ran out.

By the time your oil would run out you light would have been on for a long time. It's meant to come on way early. If you did run it out of oil it would have been your fault that's how much time you have to go get oil, it's not like you have a mile to go get oil. And if you filled the oil before every ride you'd be fine and not have to worry about running out in the middle of the lake. The oil pumps are Rock solid, just replace the little oil lines as bleed the system.

Are you running premix with oil in your gas too?
Yes I’ve been running premix, I’m not that dumb lol... but I bought it and was told it didn’t work. But now oil is getting low and getting lower and I was just wondering if there was a kill switch or some like a safety switch that would stall my seadoo because it’s too low or something

So the Seadoo system is super reliable and they don’t go out. The Yamaha and Kawasaki I remove and don’t trust but all my seadoos have it.
The only thing you need to do is change the filter every few years the little 3/32” oil lines from the pump to the intake every 10 years and run the correct API-TC oil.
I never suggest removing them. You will use a lot less oil and even if you go premix you still have to supply fresh oil to the rotary valve sump.

Could someone please just answer my first question?! Sorry but I just don’t like the idea of a oil injector in the first place....

So your question really is “what if I just run it out of oil and continue to use premix, is there anything bad that will happen like engine stopping?”

They sell block off kits if you want to remove injection. Though I haven’t heard many recommend that idea. Even if you block it off, I understand you need to keep some oil in the tank for rotary valve or bypass the tank.

There is no warning system or safety shut down on these skis. So if it ran out of oil or broke your engine would seize.

Even if you go premix on these you still have to supply the rotary drive gear with fresh oil.

There is no warning system or safety shut down on these skis. So if it ran out of oil or broke your engine would seize.

Even if you go premix on these you still have to supply the rotary drive gear with fresh oil.
How do you supply the rotary valve with fresh gear oil?

You have to keep the tank or loop the oil lines and keep an eye on the level before every outing.

So here’s the answer in the simplest terms I can think of: If you just let the ski run out of oil in the tank, you will starve the rotary valve of oil and destroy the motor. There is a light that alerts you that the tank is low, but there is no switch to shut the motor down before this happens.

If you must remove the oil injection, which is not recommended, you will need to remove the oil pump and put a block off plate in its place. You will still need to leave the oil tank in place and full of oil though, because the rotary valve is gravity fed from that tank.

In my opinion, you are far more likely to mix your fuel and oil at the wrong ratio, or accidentally fill your tank from the wrong gas can, than you are to have an oil pump failure... You’re adding complexity to the system by premixing, not making it simpler...

A couple other things to consider..if these make any difference to you.

If you premix, your spark plugs will foul and need replaced more often, especially if you are idling or using low speed for any extended periods of time.

The injection system is intended to provide higher quantities of oil at higher engine speeds than it does at idle. If you premix, it's providing the same amount of oil at all speeds (so it's overly oil-rich other than at high throttle positions). If you're mostly driving at full speed...maybe not an issue.

A lot of the older outboard boat motors were originally designed to work as premix, and later, the injection systems were engineered to help meet environmental standards in the late 1990s. But it's not the same on a Sea Doo. These engines were not designed to run premix (that I know of, anyway--from 1989 on). They came with injection from day one and perform best with injection intact.

They will still work with premix (if you include the oil bath for Rotary Valve gears), but will perform worse over time and they are going to smoke (and pollute) much more.

I’m sorry guys but there is no talking me out of it... thanks for all the help!
Perfectly fine to do what you are comfortable with and the premix will be fine. If it makes you rest easy and enjoy your ride worry free then 100% go fo it.
Just two points to make.
1. Be sure to only use API-TC rated oil.
2. Find a way to keep an eye on and supply the rotary gear with API-TC 2-stroke oil.

3. Ride the heck out of that thing and enjoy!

Your metric numbers confused me for a bit (American [emoji3]) but sounds like a 50:1 ratio. Does anyone know if that’s the right ratio for Sea-Doo? I was running a small tank of premix at 40:1 while servicing /bleeding the oil pump (to make sure there weren’t any bubbles in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back